Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dax Formula Count Consecutive Months value is 0

Hi,

I need some help writing a DAX formula that will display the count in a new column that shows how many consecutive Measurement Months a Measured Volume is 0.5 or less for each Meter Number. My data set is 6/1/2021 - 6/31/2021 so my results should not be greater than 12. Any help would be great! Pic.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler thanks Greg for the response. I am confused by the application of Cthulhu. Seems like a really complex formula for what I am attempting to achieve. Do you have any other examples handy? Thanks!

@Anonymous Well, what you are trying to achieve is actually fairly complicated from a DAX perspective. DAX is built around the concept of aggregating and filtering data. What you want to do is build a table and then analyze row by row how things are changing, comparing each row with previous rows in order to determine when a certain condition no longer exists. In a certain sense, it is a while loop and DAX does not have while and for loops. In other words, what you are trying to achieve, DAX was never built to achieve and, in fact, looping was specifically excluded from DAX. So, you should be happy that you can do it at all.

I've written pretty extensively on this subject so here are additional examples that include while loops (Cthulhu is one and there is a PBIX you can download):

For and While Loops in DAX - Microsoft Power BI Community

TRIMMEAN - Microsoft Power BI Community

Days of Supply - Microsoft Power BI Community

While Loop - Microsoft Power BI Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler after speaking with a colleague of mine we think we made need to stage the data better before attempting to achieve this complex formula. We also thought we just flag each meter with a "yes/no" if it is 0 volumes for 12 consecutive months. Thank you for the links! I'll keep you posted if we come up with a solution that works for our needs. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Seems like an application of Cthulhu. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Cthulhu/td-p/509739

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors