Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

broeren79
Frequent Visitor

Datediff taking into account our service window

Hi guys, i have a question about calculating the time between 2 date/time values.

The complexity in my case is that our team has a service window between 8:00 and 17:00 on working days. Now i need to calculate the duration between 2 date/time values in seconds or minutes taking into account the service window.

For example, if a request starts on Monday 16:59 and is resolved on Tuesday 08:59, the duration was 60 minutes.

If the request starts on Friday 16:59 and is resolved on Tuesday 08:59 and Monday was a national holiday, the duration was 60 minutes.

How do i approach that?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@broeren79 Did this solve your issue? 

@Anonymous @ solution works, for most cases, but there is indeed an issue in case a datestamp falls outside of the servicewindow. This does happen in cases when an employee decides to start early, or when a ticket is handled outside the service hours.

I think it makes sense that, in case a ticket is reported outside the servicewindow, time should start counting as per the start of the next day. e.g. ticket starts 02-08-2020 23:38:10, it should start counting at 03-08-2020 08:30.
In case a ticket is closed outside of the service window, it should be treated similarly, e.g: 03-08-2020 07:50:21 should be counted as 03-08-2020 08:30.

How do i change the statement so this is incorporated?

@Greg_Decklercan you maybe shine light on how i would solve the issue above, concerning de case where due to exceptions time stamps are measured outside working days?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

How do you plan to handle unclean data? Like, a request raised on a sunday, or completed on a holiday ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To work out the minute's difference between working hours Monday to Friday (so minus Weekends) Create a calculated column and paste the following (adjusting the highlighted text below to reference your columns)

VAR __dateStart = 'Table (2)'[Start time]
VAR __dateEnd = 'Table (2)'[End time]

Credit to @Greg_Deckler for creating the original 
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Net-Work-Duration-Working-Hours/m-p/481543#M... 

@broeren79

Minutes diffrence = 
VAR __dateStart = 'Table (2)'[Start time]
VAR __dateEnd = 'Table (2)'[End time]
VAR __NetWorkDays = COUNTX(FILTER(ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(__dateStart,__dateEnd),"WeekDay",WEEKDAY([Date],2)),[WeekDay]<6),[Date])
VAR __startTime = TIME(8,00,0)
VAR __endTime = TIME(17,0,0)
VAR __fullDayMinutes = DATEDIFF(__startTime,__endTime,MINUTE)
VAR __fullDays = IF(__NetWorkDays < 2,0,__NetWorkDays-2)
VAR __fullDaysDuration = __fullDays * __fullDayMinutes 
VAR __startDayTime = TIME(HOUR(__dateStart),MINUTE(__dateStart),SECOND(__dateStart))
VAR __startDayDuration = DATEDIFF(__startDayTime,__endTime,MINUTE)
VAR __endDayTime = TIME(HOUR(__dateEnd),MINUTE(__dateEnd),SECOND(__dateEnd))
VAR __endDayDuration = DATEDIFF(__startTime,__endDayTime,MINUTE)
RETURN  
IF(__NetWorkDays=1,DATEDIFF(__dateStart,__dateEnd,MINUTE),__fullDaysDuration + __startDayDuration + __endDayDuration)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors