Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bamber
Frequent Visitor

Date axis to show all values but only within relevant range of dates

Hi,

Is there a way to have the date axis in line or bar chart show all dates between min([date]) and max([date]) of filtered subset but not dates on the either side of this range?

bamber_0-1634149437741.png

What I did here:
1. Put a date column from date table covering 2020-01-01 to 2021-12-31 on x axis

2. Ticked 'show items with no data' 

3. Using a slicer based on an entirely different column, selected rows with date values within a two small ranges in the middle of this larger period.

The visual is showing the entire two-year date axis anyway, most of it with no data. This might be acceptable when aggregated to months but makes it quite useless when I drill down to days (I have to to scroll sideways to find the relatively small range occupied by factual data).

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

@bamber One way would be to change the x axis to use the fact date rather than the calendar date.  That is not a good way.

Another way is to use zoom sliders.

Hi @lbendlin ,

thanks for the reply. I thought about zoom sliders but wouldn't it leave the user with the same problem: how to find the narrow date range with actual data on an axis that covers two whole years?

Find a test user, let them try it, and then decide.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors