Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bamber
Frequent Visitor

Date axis to show all values but only within relevant range of dates

Hi,

Is there a way to have the date axis in line or bar chart show all dates between min([date]) and max([date]) of filtered subset but not dates on the either side of this range?

bamber_0-1634149437741.png

What I did here:
1. Put a date column from date table covering 2020-01-01 to 2021-12-31 on x axis

2. Ticked 'show items with no data' 

3. Using a slicer based on an entirely different column, selected rows with date values within a two small ranges in the middle of this larger period.

The visual is showing the entire two-year date axis anyway, most of it with no data. This might be acceptable when aggregated to months but makes it quite useless when I drill down to days (I have to to scroll sideways to find the relatively small range occupied by factual data).

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

@bamber One way would be to change the x axis to use the fact date rather than the calendar date.  That is not a good way.

Another way is to use zoom sliders.

Hi @lbendlin ,

thanks for the reply. I thought about zoom sliders but wouldn't it leave the user with the same problem: how to find the narrow date range with actual data on an axis that covers two whole years?

Find a test user, let them try it, and then decide.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors