Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deboec
Helper I
Helper I

DAX syntax for SQL query

Hi,

I have a SQL query for my database which I use for grouping entries in a survey table by specific departments.

As a result I want a simple table that looks somewhat like my SQL query.

SQL query

select md.DEPARTMENT,
count(distinct mpqr.MEDIC_UID)
from `20583`.MEDIC_PROPERTY_QUESTION_RESULT mpqr 
left join `20583`.MEDIC m 
on mpqr.MEDIC_UID  = m.UID
left join `20583`.MEDIC_DEPARTMENT md 
on m.DEPARTMENT_UID = md.UID
group by md.DEPARTMENT
order by 2 desc

Output:

image.png

How do I accomplish to get a table in Power BI?

In the end I only want to use a simple measure that gives me the [DEPARTMENT] for MAX([count(distinct mpqr.MEDIC_UID]) which means '525' in this specific case.

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi:

These answers depend on how your model is set up. I will paste a link to a file that shows the model set up and then thetwo measures for DISTINCTCOUNT. 

I will link a file example for MAX Distinct Count. I have used my table names and you would substitute in your "Department" table name where I have Channel. and where I used Data[Order ID] that's where you put your table[column name] which I think is  mpqr.[MEDIC_UID] but I can't tell. I hope this helps. It looks a little overwhelming but is not too hard if you go step by step. You'll notice the first DISTINCTCOUNT measure is referenced in the final measure (solution measure), MAX DISTINCT COUNT.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10mpcXrtjdtE7BGiqhArgUafjTk7StYUQ/view?usp=sharing 

Whitewater100_0-1653137897251.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi:

These answers depend on how your model is set up. I will paste a link to a file that shows the model set up and then thetwo measures for DISTINCTCOUNT. 

I will link a file example for MAX Distinct Count. I have used my table names and you would substitute in your "Department" table name where I have Channel. and where I used Data[Order ID] that's where you put your table[column name] which I think is  mpqr.[MEDIC_UID] but I can't tell. I hope this helps. It looks a little overwhelming but is not too hard if you go step by step. You'll notice the first DISTINCTCOUNT measure is referenced in the final measure (solution measure), MAX DISTINCT COUNT.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10mpcXrtjdtE7BGiqhArgUafjTk7StYUQ/view?usp=sharing 

Whitewater100_0-1653137897251.png

Thank you very much!

The measure helped me with my end goal:

Max Distinct CT =
CALCULATE(
     VALUES(
          Channel[Channel],
     ),
     TOPN(
          Channel[Channel],
          [DISTINCT COUNT Order ID],
          DESC
     )
)

In my case it was:

Max Distinct Values =
CALCULATE(
     VALUES(
          MEDIC_DEPARTMENT[DEPARTMENT],
     ),
     TOPN(
          MEDIC_DEPARTMENT[DEPARTMENT],
          [DISTINCT COUNT MEDIC_UID],
          DESC
     )
)
daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

It's not that easy or simple to translate a SQL query into DAX. One has to know the structure of the model first.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors