Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

matsahiro
Helper II
Helper II

DAX not pulling up field in new measure

Hello, I'm fairly new to DAX. I'm trying to create this new measure comparing previous and old dates. DAX editor isn't pulling up the fields needed to compute though. 

New_date_indicator = IF(Table1[Date1]=Table2[Date2], "0", "1")

Any explanation to why intellisense isn't pulling up these fields to calculate? Thank you. 

This is what I'd like to create

Dummy data

Date1Date2ShopNew_date_indicator
2/1/20192/1/2019TX0
3/4/20186/7/2020FL1
4/5/20204/5/2020CA0
3/2/20213/2/2021WA1
2 REPLIES 2

There is a lot to learn. Table1[Date1] (and 2) are columns. Because they are columns, they can have multiple values in those columns. It's like me saying "is this column of 10 values greater than this other column of 10 values". You can't do this, and hence Intellisense won't offer it as an option. To do the calculation, you must find a single value in the first column and compare it to a single value in the second column, like this. 

New_date_indicator = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Date1])=SELECTEDVALUE(Table2[Date2]), "0", "1")

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington Great! Thank you so much for your help. I believe that should work for me. The error that I recieve though is "there's not enough memory to complete this operation", when this should only calculate for about 12 rows. The selectedvalues on their own calculate just fine, it only throws an error when it is all pieced together in the IF statement. Any thoughts?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors