Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HC-AutomateUser

DAX makes me crazy : CONVERT

Good evening CET !

You cannot see it but I am crying right now. I am 49, has almost developped anything since 35 years, but today... Today... I am about to jump from the 2nd floor (you know : not to die but because I need that hurts to feel alive).

Why ? Just because of DAX. I have never had a full-day with absolutely nothing that worked. The basic fro the basic commands did not want to work.

Even a simple DateAdd() does not ! Can you imagine !!!

But here is why I post this bottle to the sea... I have opened a Power BI report to make some changes. It has always worked... But if I edit a table definition, it falls down.

I have created a new table this way :

ConsolidatedTables =
VAR Mvt =
SELECTCOLUMNS(
'tableName1',
"RefProduct", CONVERT('tableName1'[RefProd], STRING),
"Channel", CONVERT('tableName1'[CDV], STRING),
(...)
"mQtt", 'tableName1'[Qtt]
)
VAR Cont =
SELECTCOLUMNS(
tableName2,
"RefProduct", CONVERT('tableName2'[Réf. ouvrage], STRING),
"Channel", CONVERT('tableName2'[Canal de vente:Title], STRING),
(...)
"cMargin", 'tableName2'[Marge]
)

VAR Result = FILTER(NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN(Mvt, Cont), [Channel] <> "n/a" && [mCreated] >= [cFrom] && [mCreated] <= [cTo])

RETURN Result

I have 2 issues here (please remember that it works until I edit it) :
CONVERT('tableName1'[RefProd], STRING)

It sounds like STRING is not recognized anymore. Does the syntax has changed ??? In Microsoft's documentation, it should still work.

VAR Result = FILTER(NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN(Mvt, Cont), [Channel] <> "n/a" && [mCreated] >= [cFrom] && [mCreated] <= [cTo])

I have a JOIN error that says the types of RefProduct is not the same in both tableName1 and tableName2. How is it possible ? Who changed the types of my data ? Give me a name !!! ...Oh, of course, maybe that the error message is wrong...

So please help ! I have built dozens of Power BI dashboards, It cannot be possible that some (or all ???) of them can break just when I try to change one.

Does someone has already met this issue and do you have any advice that could help ?

Many thanks by advanced.

B.R.

Eric 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello again 🙂

Finally I made all work this morning at 4AM (CET). The

"attribute" = CONVERT(column, STRING)

has been replaced by a

"attribute" = column & ""

...Something I use to do when I do not have the choice to use a var typed variable. Not clean but it works.

I had a second issue coming from 2 other columns (one in each SharePoint list) that are search typed, with the same source. As I explained, it works until I edit the DAX script but I needed to change something in it, so I took 2 attributes with a different name (instead of the same one to be taken into account by the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN), and I added a FILTER on [attribute1] = [attribute2].

Now I can finish the v2 of my dashboards.

Many thanks, again, for your advice about Power Query. Be sure this is something I will work on once the reports will be published (even if I do not eat caviar anymore since I discovered the female fishs were opened alive to get the eggs, then thrown back into the sea still alive but dying, thanks to humanity) !

Thanks again !

B.R.

Eric

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm wondering why you cling to DAX. It seems an easy mission in PQ. In fact, the complexity of NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN under the hood is way much more than it appears,

NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN – DAX Guide

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Hello,

Many thanks for your answer. Why I clinged to DAX ? Just because it exists and I wanted to try. It worked with no real issue until today. To say the truth, it still works until I edit the piece of script (and if I do that, as I explained, both Convert() and Naturalleftouterjoin go to errors).

For the "join", I find it really like in SQL requests.

I did not know Power Query. I see it is a low / no code interface... I do not like that because it is full of traps (at least if one could code in C# inside !!!) and so complex to configure and slow to execute when you have something a little bit complex to do (it often take hours to do something new in Power Automate), but I will try it, thanks for the advice !

UPDATE : OK, I did not know that Power Query was the thing I also already use in Power BI, so that will not help.

Just one thing I have not said, it is that the source is a SharePoint list and not a database, I do not know if this is something that may have an impact or not... But never mind, I will try something else.

Eric

I once did what you do now, considering DAX as a cure-all until I found PQ (the Mashup language to be exact) is another caviar in PBI.

Like what you mentioned, PQ desguises with a low/no code UI😀; but its real power lies in its script editor. At least 90% of complicated missions of data ETL are to accomplish there.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Hello again 🙂

Finally I made all work this morning at 4AM (CET). The

"attribute" = CONVERT(column, STRING)

has been replaced by a

"attribute" = column & ""

...Something I use to do when I do not have the choice to use a var typed variable. Not clean but it works.

I had a second issue coming from 2 other columns (one in each SharePoint list) that are search typed, with the same source. As I explained, it works until I edit the DAX script but I needed to change something in it, so I took 2 attributes with a different name (instead of the same one to be taken into account by the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN), and I added a FILTER on [attribute1] = [attribute2].

Now I can finish the v2 of my dashboards.

Many thanks, again, for your advice about Power Query. Be sure this is something I will work on once the reports will be published (even if I do not eat caviar anymore since I discovered the female fishs were opened alive to get the eggs, then thrown back into the sea still alive but dying, thanks to humanity) !

Thanks again !

B.R.

Eric

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors