Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chiragjagga

DAX formula to calculate sum of averages by category dynamically

I have a table with Columns- Module, Subcategory, Num_of_users, Cost per user, Total Cost etc. I am using slicers with option to multi-select subcategory column values. I am able to create a Tile card to display average cost per unique combination of [Module+Subcategory], but facing issue when trying to select multiple values in the slicer for Subcategory.

Example of the formula being used here to calculate Total Cost for slicer value selection: 

SUMX('Data Refined','Data Refined'[Average Quoted price ]* 'User Count Parameter'[User Count Parameter Value]/COUNT('Data Refined'[Sub-category]))
The above formula works great for one value at a time but fails with multi-select because the Average Quoted Price takes iny the average price for all the rows that match with selected slicer values.

I have to calculate average dynamically based on any number of selections in that slicer, please suggest modification into the current formula or a new formula altogether to achieve this
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@chiragjagga 

In this case please try

please try

Total Cost =
SUMX (
VALUES ( 'Data Refined'[Sub-category] ),
CALCULATE (
AVERAGEX (
'Data Refined',
'Data Refined'[Average Quoted price ] * 'User Count Parameter'[User Count Parameter Value]
)
)
)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
chiragjagga

Hi Tamerj1,

Thankyou for your suggestion but this formula isnt working correctly, more explanation below-

This formula takes the sum of the average values per category first, then takes an overall average....what happens in this case is lets say there are 2 rows for Category A with values 800 and 1000, 1 row for Category B with value 1200, then this formula is taking SUM of [Average of price for Category A=900, 2 times] + [Average of price for Category B=1200, 1 time] which comes out to be 3000, then taking another Average due to the outside function, and dividing (3000/2)=1500, because it finds count of distinct categories=2.

I am looking to take Sum of averages for individual category dynamically, based on slicer selection, so the desired number should be 900+1200=2100 for avg of 2 categories

@chiragjagga 

In this case please try

please try

Total Cost =
SUMX (
CALCULATE (
AVERAGEX (
'Data Refined',
'Data Refined'[Average Quoted price ] * 'User Count Parameter'[User Count Parameter Value]
)
)
)

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @chiragjagga 

please try

Total Cost =
AVERAGEX (
CALCULATE (
SUMX (
'Data Refined',
)
)
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors