Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX for highlighting TopN values in a drilled down bar chart

Hi all, 

I am looking to visualize data that is drilled down to hours per days in a bar chart. I want to visualize the topN maximum values of this bar chart. I have a date table storing the dates and days and I have a timetable that stores the hours. These tables are linked through my main data table. The DAX formula I tried to calculate the topN is as follows: 

TestTop = 
VAR SelectedTop = 3
RETURN
SWITCH(TRUE(),
    SelectedTop = 0, [Utilization],
    RANKX ( 
            CROSSJOIN(DISTINCT(DateTable[Day]), DISTINCT(TimeTable15min[Hour])), 
            [Utilization],
                )
                  <= SelectedTop,
        [Utilization]
)

As you see in the figure below, all the bars are highlighted. I feel the RANKX is applied to every bin of the bar chart separately. Therefore, all the bins are highlighted.

test.PNG

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

9 REPLIES 9
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

wdx223_Daniel_0-1611202310890.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Thank you very much! It is a great step in the right direction, but not the result I really wanted. Here is a more clear example of what I want to see with a top 3. 

example.png

Would the current solution be easily adjustable to get this result? 

wdx223_Daniel_0-1611218122408.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, you are amazing. Thank you very much!

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous  - 

When you create the crossjoin inside your measure, each DISTINCT works in the current filter context, which in your case is a specific DOW and time bucket. Try using ALL around the date tables and that should expand the context to your entire dataset.

DAX also has a TOPN function if that might be easier. Details here: https://dax.guide/topn/ 

If this doesn't help, please provide data in a format that can be copy/pasted and the code for [Utilization], or share a link to your PBIX file with sensitive data removed.

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David, 

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I have not been able to fix the issue the way you described it. Could you take a look at my PBIX file? Here is the link: https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/f13a3b88-da7a-49a0-8e41-c28f480c53ba?ctid=76a2ae5a-9f00-4f... 

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous - the link you provided doesn't work. I will need the pbix (Power BI Desktop) file, not the report published in the Power BI service.  People usually use Dropbox or Google Drive or OneDrive to provide a copy of the file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I see. Here is a Dropbox link: 

HI @Anonymous  - sorry, I have not been able to make any headway on your issue. I'm going to reach out and see if others can help

@Greg_Deckler 

@AntrikshSharma 

@vanessafvg 

@PaulDBrown 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors