Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

InsHunter
Helper II
Helper II

DAX code to aggregate values of time stamps in one fact table based on time window in another table

Hi,

Being a newbie struck in code for using two fact tables.

Have two fact tables and one dim table linked with common column Meter_ID.

Objective - Aggregate values against each time stamp of one fact table based on the date and time window(Between start time and end time)  in another fact table for each Meter_ID. 

"tm_periodflow_instants" table has Time stamp and Dates separately along with the values which need to be aggregated based on "Date" ,"Start Time" ,"End Time" of another fact table "Prod_data_from_software".
I could not complete the DAX formula for the measure  which i started as below as related was not bringing the other fact table columns for filtering.

Energy Values =
CALCULATE(
    SUMX(tm_periodflow_instants,tm_periodflow_instants[Value]),
     FILTER(ALL(tm_periodflow_instants),tm_periodflow_instants[Time] < RELATED(P
)))
Deeply appreciate your support to complete the code 
(For some reasons could not upload the data model  images in the forum after repeated attempts)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @InsHunter 
Please try

Energy Values =
SUMX (
    Prod_data_from_software,
    VAR CurrentDate = Prod_data_from_software[Date]
    VAR InstantsTable =
        CALCULATETABLE (
            tm_periodflow_instants,
            CROSSFILTER ( Prod_data_from_software[Meter_ID], 'Meter List'[Meter_ID], BOTH )
        )
    VAR FilteredInstantsTable =
        FILTER (
            InstantsTable,
            tm_periodflow_instants[Date] = CurrentDate
                && tm_periodflow_instants[Time] <= Prod_data_from_software[End Time]
                && tm_periodflow_instants[Time] >= Prod_data_from_software[Start Time]
        )
    RETURN
        SUMX ( FilteredInstantsTable, tm_periodflow_instants[Value] )
)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @InsHunter 
Please try

Energy Values =
SUMX (
    Prod_data_from_software,
    VAR CurrentDate = Prod_data_from_software[Date]
    VAR InstantsTable =
        CALCULATETABLE (
            tm_periodflow_instants,
        )
        FILTER (
            InstantsTable,
            tm_periodflow_instants[Date] = CurrentDate
                && tm_periodflow_instants[Time] <= Prod_data_from_software[End Time]
                && tm_periodflow_instants[Time] >= Prod_data_from_software[Start Time]
        )
    RETURN
)

@tamerj1  Thanks . That was an immense help for me.God bless you. I think i need the date level granularity in both "Start Time" and "End Time" in my "Prod_data_from_software" table to get more accurate values when a batch on a machine is transcending the midnight. Hope in that case i need to remove the stand alone date in the filter of variable "FilterInstantsTable"  and bring it to the time .right?

@InsHunter 

Yes. On this case DateTime shall be required in both tables (the three Time columns)

@tamerj1  Hi.Sorry to bother u again. Since my "Prod_data_from_software" table  had the time granularity in secs i rouned down to minutes to match with my "tm_periodflow_instants" table which is having the time stamp in minutes accepting some  compromise. As date in  "Prod_data_from_software" is end date ,start date was derived based on the time stamps and minutes field for dax purpose. I modified dax as below.

Energy Values =
SUMX (
    Prod_data_from_software,
    VAR StartDate = Prod_data_from_software[Start Date]
    VAR EndDate = Prod_data_from_software[End Date]

VAR InstantsTable =
        CALCULATETABLE (
            tm_periodflow_instants,
        )
        FILTER (
            InstantsTable,
            tm_periodflow_instants[Date] <= EndDate
                && tm_periodflow_instants[Time] <= Prod_data_from_software[Rounded End Time]
                && tm_periodflow_instants[Time] >= Prod_data_from_software[Rounded Start Time]
            && tm_periodflow_instants[Date]>=StartDate
        )
    RETURN
)

.But unfortunately not getting the values of batches crossing midnight.

InsHunter_0-1667989410489.png

Your help will be of great support for me. Thanks in Advance.

@InsHunter 

Please try

FILTER (
        InstantsTable,
        tm_periodflow_instants[Time] <= Prod_data_from_software[Rounded End Time]
            && tm_periodflow_instants[Time] >= Prod_data_from_software[Rounded Start Time]
    )

@tamerj1  Thank you very much. I combined date and time in both data sets and used for the filter with start date as initial filter .Then it worked.It was a great help.

@tamerj1  Thank you very much.😀

InsHunter
Helper II
Helper II

InsHunter_0-1667926300877.png

Each machine has the below data of times along with dates batch wise.

InsHunter_1-1667926580184.png

Value need to be aggregated based on the respective time stamps falling in the above window.

InsHunter_2-1667926671604.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors