Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vikki
Frequent Visitor

DAX challenge - create measures with grouped values from other table

Hi there,

I have a data structure like this:

PBI_Q1.JPG

Each project has 3 phases. If list everything, the table is like this (I added 3 calculated columns to 'Project Phase' table, with a bunch of blank rows):

Project#Phase Namestart dateend dateCompletion Date Current PhaseProject Status
P1Phase1Jul-19Jul-20   
P1Phase2Jul-20Aug-21 Phase 2 
P1Phase3Aug-21Oct-22Oct-22 In progress
P2Phase1Jul-20Jul-21 Phase 1 
P2Phase2Jul-21Aug-22   
P2Phase3Aug-22Oct-24Oct-24 In progress
P3Phase1Jan-16Jul-17   
P3Phase2Jul-17Feb-19   
P3Phase3Feb-19Dec-20Dec-20 Completed

What I'd like to do is to create 3 measures to get each project's [Completion Date], [Current Phase], and [Project Status], the desired outcome should like this:

Project#Completion Date Current PhaseProject Status
P1Oct-22Phase 2In progress
P2Oct-24Phase 1In progress
P3Dec-20 Completed

Could anyone help?

Thanks ahead,

Vikki

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ERD
Super User
Super User

Hello @Vikki ,

You can use LASTNONBLANK (<ColumnName>, <Expression>) function for all 3 measures. Example:

#Current phase = 
LASTNONBLANK('Project Phase'[Current Phase], 'Project Phase'[Current Phase])

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your Kudos.

Check out my latest demo report in the data story gallery.

Stand with Ukraine!

Here are official ways you can support Ukraine financially (accounts with multiple currencies):
1) Support the Armed Forces of Ukraine: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/about/support-the-armed-forces
2) Come Back Alive foundation: https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/

Thank you!

View solution in original post

Vikki
Frequent Visitor

Actually I figured out how to solve this issue. So just share it here with everyone. The trick is in Manage relationship: Change the cross filter direction from single to both, for both dimension tables to fact table.

Vikki_0-1616700187658.png

Then the measures worked.

Vikki_1-1616700336876.png

Thanks @ERD 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Vikki
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ERD ,

Thank you for the solution. I have tried this function, it worked with excel file as source.

However, I am having a new issue. Because my work is sourced from SQL D/B. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. The 'Project" diemnsion and "Project Phase" dimension are joined through a fact table, there are other dimension tables having relationship with this fact table. Anyway, I tried exactly the same function measures.

Completion Date = LASTNONBLANK('PROJECT PHASE'[Completion Date], 'PROJECT PHASE'[Completion Date])
Current Phase = LASTNONBLANK('PROJECT PHASE'[Current Phase], 'PROJECT PHASE'[Current Phase])
Project Status = LASTNONBLANK('PROJECT PHASE'[Project Status], 'PROJECT PHASE'[Project Status])

But the measures for all projects are giving the same values. And it looked like the measures are being summarized, because those are the LAST NO BLANK values.

PBI_P2.jpg

When I use the calculated columns, I am able to set the field to "Don't summarize"

Vikki_0-1616690398151.png

Could someone tell me how to make the measure not being summarized?

Thanks again,

Vikki

Vikki
Frequent Visitor

Actually I figured out how to solve this issue. So just share it here with everyone. The trick is in Manage relationship: Change the cross filter direction from single to both, for both dimension tables to fact table.

Vikki_0-1616700187658.png

Then the measures worked.

Vikki_1-1616700336876.png

Thanks @ERD 

ERD
Super User
Super User

Hello @Vikki ,

You can use LASTNONBLANK (<ColumnName>, <Expression>) function for all 3 measures. Example:

#Current phase = 
LASTNONBLANK('Project Phase'[Current Phase], 'Project Phase'[Current Phase])

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your Kudos.

Check out my latest demo report in the data story gallery.

Stand with Ukraine!

Here are official ways you can support Ukraine financially (accounts with multiple currencies):
1) Support the Armed Forces of Ukraine: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/about/support-the-armed-forces
2) Come Back Alive foundation: https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors