Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Prabha45
Helper III
Helper III

DAX - Selected value

Hi
I wrote a measure where if is January is selected measure shows 1, february 2, so on till december.
Measure = switch(selectedvalue
                              (dim_table[month_name]),
                               "January",1,
                                "February",2)
Is it possible , if both January and February are selected, measure should show 1,2. If January,February and March are selected measure should show 1,2,3.

Thankyou

11 REPLIES 11
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Prabha45 

if the month name column is coming from a date table the you can try. 

CONCATENATEX ( VALUES ( 'Date'[Date].[Month] ), [Month], "," )

However, the following shall work in all scenarios 

CONCATENATEX (

VALUES ( 'Table'[Month] ),

SWITCH (

[Month],

"January", 1,

"February", 2,

etc. 

),

","

)

Thanks that worked. I need the measure to be in integer format, but it is in Text format. I used convert to change it to integer then the output changed to 123.

@Prabha45 

Cannot have an integer with delimiter. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I need to trigger a function app with the filters selected in Power BI as input for the function app. It has month parameter which accepts inputs as 1 or 1,2 or 1,2,3. If I use the above measure( text format) it takes the values as "1,2,3". So, I converted it to integer then it took input as 123. 

@Prabha45 

So with CONVERT you got your desired outcome? Or you still need further support? If so please clarify further perhaps with some examples and/or screenshots. 

No. If I use convert, the output of the measure changes to 123. With 123 as input, I can't trigger the function app.
If I don't use convert, the measure output is 1,2,3. when I pass this as input it takes as "1,2,3".

@Prabha45 

I hope you realize that there is no possibility that I have any idea what function app is. I don't see what you see. I have no access to your report so please treat me as complete blind when explaining to me ☺️

FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

hi @Prabha45 

1) try to add a column like:

month_number = 
SWITCH(
    [month_name],
    "January", 1,
    "February", 2,
    "March", 3,
    "April", 4,
    "May", 5,
    "June", 6,
    "July", 7,
    "August", 8,
    "September", 9,
    "October", 10,
    "November", 11,
)

2) then plot a measure like this:

Measure = 
CONCATENATEX(
    TableName,
    TableName[month_number],
    ","
)

it worked like:

FreemanZ_0-1677738070036.png

FreemanZ_1-1677738088895.png

Thanks that worked. But, the measure is in Text format. I used convert to change it to integer then the output changed to 123.

hi @Prabha45 

why change to integer?

I need to trigger a function app with the filters selected in Power BI as input for the function app. It has month parameter which accepts inputs as 1 or 1,2 or 1,2,3. If I use the above measure( text format) it takes the values as "1,2,3". So, I converted it to integer then it took input as 123. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors