Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DAX Running Total - One CALCULATE cancels out the other

I’m using the AdventureWorks tabular model for my example. In this example, I’m trying to create a prediction of future sales, using a static range of past data. Then I want a 10-day rolling average of that prediction into the future.

Note: I’m using live connection to Analysis Services, so I can’t create columns or do any modeling. It must all be done in measures.

Here is a view of the resulting data.

Picture1.png

Columns 1-3 come straight out of the AdventureWorks model... units sold by date.

Column 4: "Daily Avg from Sample" (this works fine)

Daily Avg from Sample = 
VAR StartDt = DATEVALUE("2014-01-01")
VAR EndDt = DATEVALUE("2014-01-07")
VAR DailyAvgUnits = CALCULATE([Internet Total Units], ALL('Date'[Date]), DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date], StartDt, EndDt)) / 7
RETURN DailyAvgUnits

Column 5: "Adjust for Sundays" (also works fine)

Adjust for Sundays = 
VAR DayOfWeek = IF(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Day Number of Week]), FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Day Number of Week], 'Date'[Day Number of Week]))
VAR DailyAvgUnitsAdjusted = IF(DayOfWeek = 1, [Daily Avg from Sample] * 0.8, [Daily Avg from Sample])
RETURN DailyAvgUnitsAdjusted

Column 6: "Rolling 10 Days" (does not work)

Rolling 10 Days = 
VAR DailyAvgUnitsAdjusted10Day = CALCULATE([Adjust for Sundays], DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date], LASTDATE('Date'[Date]), -10, DAY))
RETURN DailyAvgUnitsAdjusted10Day

The issue seems to be that I'm defining my original Daily Avg based on the Date column. Then later, I'm defining my Rolling 10 Days also based on the same date column. But I need them both to hold context in their own ways.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@CoalesceIsMore , Try one of the two

Rolling 10 Days =
VAR DailyAvgUnitsAdjusted10Day = CALCULATE([Adjust for Sundays],values(Table[Date]), DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date], LASTDATE('Date'[Date]), -10, DAY))

Rolling 10 Days =
VAR DailyAvgUnitsAdjusted10Day = CALCULATE(AverageX(values(Table[Date]),[Adjust for Sundays]),, DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date], LASTDATE('Date'[Date]), -10, DAY))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@CoalesceIsMore , Try one of the two

Rolling 10 Days =
VAR DailyAvgUnitsAdjusted10Day = CALCULATE([Adjust for Sundays],values(Table[Date]), DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date], LASTDATE('Date'[Date]), -10, DAY))

Rolling 10 Days =
VAR DailyAvgUnitsAdjusted10Day = CALCULATE(AverageX(values(Table[Date]),[Adjust for Sundays]),, DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date], LASTDATE('Date'[Date]), -10, DAY))

Very nice. Your 2nd suggestion yields the correct results.

Am I correct in saying that by adding the AverageX function, we forced a calculation at the correct level? Or is there more to it than that?

I'll paste the final code used here, after just a bit of clean-up.

CALCULATE(AverageX('Date',[Adjust for Sundays]), DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date], LASTDATE('Date'[Date]), -10, DAY))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors