Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jjones90274
Frequent Visitor

DAX RANKX by Quarter

I am having issues creating a RANKX function that ranks values that are in the same period. My data contains multiple cities with multiple years and quarters for each city (Ex: Dallas for 1Q 2021, 2Q 2021..../Phoenix for 1Q 2021, 2Q 2021...). For each period I would like to rank the cities with regards to a specific metric (i.e vacancy). I have tried to accomplish this both through adding a column and meaures but have been unable to make it work.

My current measure formula is: 

Test Vacancy Rank = RANKX(CALCULATETABLE(VALUES('Costar Data'[Vacancy Rate]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Costar Data'),'Costar Data'[End Of Quarter]=SELECTEDVALUE('Costar Data'[End Of Quarter]))),CALCULATE(SUM('Costar Data'[Vacancy Rate])))

I am less familuar with DAX so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jjones90274 , Try measure like

Rankx(allselected(Table[City]) , CALCULATE(SUM('Costar Data'[Vacancy Rate])), , desc,dense)

Rankx(filter(allselected(Table[City], Table[Qtr Year]), [Qtr Year] =max(Table[Qtr Year])  , CALCULATE(SUM('Costar Data'[Vacancy Rate])), , desc,dense)

For Rank Refer these links
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-2-of-3-calculated-measures
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-1-of-3-calculated-columns
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-3-of-3-the-finale

I also tried another method that got me close but it is still off.  It does not seem to be ranking properly and the ranking does not start at 1 (see below):

jjones90274_0-1665528059747.png

The formula for GSVacancy Rank is: 

GSVacancy Rank =
CALCULATE(
    RANKX(ALL('GreenStreet-Data-2022-08-30'[Market]),[Measure - CoStar Vacancy],,ASC,Dense),
        ALL('GreenStreet-Data-2022-08-30'),
            VALUES('GreenStreet-Data-2022-08-30'[Market]))

Thanks for the reply @amitchandak! I gave the first measure a try and I am still getting duplicate rankings (see below)

jjones90274_0-1665502669131.png

For reference I have included a snapshot of the relationships I have in the model.

jjones90274_1-1665502669133.png

The data I am using has both past dates with historical data and future dates with forcasted data. I tie the two data sources together through the calendar and market key tables. In my report I have slicers for Date (Year and Qtr) and Market.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors