Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Measure to calculate which number appointment it is

I have a lot of appointmets for a lot of customers and I need to create some measures based on 'What number appointment is it, for that customer'.

I have data in a table like this

DateCustomerAppointmentStatus
01-MayCMR-1App-1Complete
02-MayCMR-2App-2Complete
03-MayCMR-3App-3Cancelled
04-MayCMR-1App-4Complete
05-MayCMR-4App-5Complete
06-MayCMR-1App-6Complete
07-MayCMR-3App-7Complete
08-MayCMR-2App-8Complete

I need to know what number of appointment it is for that customer, where the appointment was completed (do not count cancelled).  For example, the # Appointments column below.

DateCustomerAppointmentStatus # Appointment
01-MayCMR-1App-1Complete 1
02-MayCMR-2App-2Complete 1
03-MayCMR-3App-3Cancelled  
04-MayCMR-1App-4Complete 2
05-MayCMR-4App-5Complete 1
06-MayCMR-1App-6Complete 3
07-MayCMR-3App-7Complete 1
08-MayCMR-2App-8Complete 2

The measures I want are

1. number of first time appointments (so a count where it is 1).  Nb. I will be slicing by month.  A person could have many appointments in a month.  I need only count the first in this measure.  If they had an appointment in a previous month, there should be nothing to count in that month.
  2. Average number of appointments - Take an average across the # Appointment data

For Example

First Time Appointments4
Average number appointments1.57

I am working with a tabular model and was hoping to use DAX to do all of this, but I cant work out how.  Any help will be greatly appreciated 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

I too do not understand in the average bit.  But for the First Time Appointment you can do the following.

Create 2 Calculated Column

INDEX = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNTNOBLANK(Appointments[Customer]),FILTER(Appointments,Appointments[Customer]<=EARLIER(Appointments[Customer]) ))

# Appointment = RANKX(
FILTER(
Appointments,
Appointments[Status] = "Complete" &&
Appointments[Customer] = EARLIER(Appointments[Customer])),Appointments[Appointment],,ASC)

1.jpg
2.JPG

Regards,
Harsh Nathani

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

What does this mean?

2. Average number of appointments - Take an average across the # Appointment data

You can't just add up the numbers in the column # Appointment and divide by the number of days. It makes no sense whatsoever since this column just holds the order number of the appointments for each individual customer. And if you think it does... then I'd be glad to hear your interpretation. In reality, what you're suggesting to do is similar to this (assume that we're dealing with 1 customer only for simplicity's sake):

1. Number the rows in a table from 1 to n.

2. Take the average (1+2+...+n) / n =  n*(n+1) / (2*n) = (n+1) / 2.

What meaning does the above have? Let's see... Say n = 11 in a month (meaning there were 11 visits in a month from a single customer). The average you're suggesting is 6. So... what meaning do you attach to such a number?

I think you want to calculate something different. You want to know the average number of visits in the selected period of time but the averaging is over the customers, not days. This is a completely different calculation and it does have a well-defined meaning, namely, it answers the question: What is the average number of visits from each customer in the selected period of time?

Best

D

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

For your # Appointment calculated column you can do (assuming the Date column is of date type). From that you can get to the rest

NumAppointment =
VAR currentdate_ = Table[Date]
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( Table1[Appointment] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Customer] ),
        Table1[Date] < currendate_,
        Table1[Status] <> "Cancelled"
    )

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors