Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wonyango
Regular Visitor

DAX Measure to analyze survey data

Dear All,

I have some survey data that I have analyzed in MS Excel but I find it a bit challenging to analyze in Power BI and I am interested in doing it in Power BI. The tutorials I have watched are about analyzing survey data where most of the questions require only one response. In this case, some questions allow a respondent to choose more than one answer. For instance, I have a question asking, "Which rights and fundamental freedoms are you aware of?" The respondent is allowed to choose more than one answer. Each respondent has a respondent ID. The total respondents for the survey are 779. 1 denotes Yes, 2 denotes No. Now, let's say I want to get the % of the respondents that ticked 'Right to Life'. It means I will take the total of 1s over the total respondents.  I have to do this for all the rights. The data is organized in a table. Now I want to get the percentages of All the rights against the total respondents and then make a bar chart, and be able to filter by County name (I have a dimension table with the demographic characteristics), is this possible in Power BI? 

Regards.

2 REPLIES 2
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hey, 

I would reccomend for a better answer and quick solution paste a dummy example of the data for a brief case show, them show the end result you want, 

yes this can be done, here a simple dax that would do the trick: 

Data: 

StefanoGrimaldi_3-1610929190328.png

New % Measure = ( (CALCULATE(COUNT(survey[answer]),ALLEXCEPT(survey,survey[answer])))/(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(survey[Person ID]),ALLEXCEPT(survey,survey[Person ID]))))*100

result: 
StefanoGrimaldi_4-1610929210869.png

this will give the % of diferent people by each possible answer.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Stefano,

Thank you very much for the response. Here's a link to some subset of the data set: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WZB1BJvafGmAuevGH0CNSr34EIiLHEK8/view

The idea is not to get the percent of different people. The idea is to get the percent for every right. For instance,For the Right to Life, 622 out of 779 answered yes which is denoted by 1, which comes to about 80%. The list has 26 rights or so. So, the DAX formula should calculate for each right the percentage, then I should be able to apply some filters. I have attached an image of how the filter should look like every time I pick any value.perception.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors