Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jereaallikko
Helper III
Helper III

DAX Measure to Check Tag From Different Table

Hi all,

I am trying to solve a problem with relationships and column mapping from other table. I have two tables, both containing hundreds of rows of data. I have created a simple illustration data below. Table1 is considered as Main Data table, whereas Table2 as Product Code mapping Table:

Tables.JPG

I would like to add Product Code column to Table 1. So basically, I am looking for a solution (DAX, Relationships, etc.) to check if Product in Table2 is included in Product of Table1. If it is true, then it should map to the correct Product Code. I have tried to play with relationships, but it does not map correctly.

As a result, all "Bert" Products should have a code FEB, "WayX" Products should have a code DCA etc...

A desired outcome example:

Solution§.JPG

Any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Jere

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong but it works fine for me.

AlexisOlson_0-1642623208620.png

Do you have relationships between the two tables complicating things?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi @jereaallikko ,

If possible I would do this always in Powerquery. I just had a discussion about a similar topic yesterday with my team members. So you can create conditiona column in PQ using this logic: 

Text.Contains(MyText, "car", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) 

Lopuksi pieni markkinointi 😀. PowerBI konsultointia + mielenkiintoinen embedded ratkaisu: https://get.bibook.com/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You might be able to do this with a calculated column like this:

VAR Prod1 = Table1[Product]
RETURN
    CONCATENATEX (
        CALCULATETABLE (
            VALUES ( Table2[Product Code] ),
            FILTER ( Table2, CONTAINSSTRING ( Prod1, Table2[Product] ) )
        ),
        Table2[Product Code]
    )

However, I'd recommend against models that have columns with multiple values concatenated together. It makes measures harder to write and performance will suffer if your datasets get large.

Hi @AlexisOlson,

Thanks for the reply.

This solution is one step closer. Problem is that this works only for those where Table1[Product] = Table2[Product]. Not if the field in Table1[Product] contains more characters, or two products. See below:

Solution1.JPGAs you can see, it does not map for differently filled fields (Bert.5, XMAN_1, Bert.5 etc..)

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong but it works fine for me.

AlexisOlson_0-1642623208620.png

Do you have relationships between the two tables complicating things?

Hi @AlexisOlson

As you said, I realized I had an active relationship between the tables that complicated it. Now works fine. Big thanks!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jereaallikko , A new column in table one using concatenateX

concatenateX( filter(Table2, Table1[ID] = table2[ID] && Table1[product] = table2[product]), table2[product code])

Hi @amitchandak

It didn't work. After a brief investigation, this measure works only if Table1[ID] = Table2[ID]. This should somehow be modified to link between "Product" columns. To Table1 a column or DAX like : Table2[Product] "contains" Table1[Product], then Table2[Product Code].

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors