Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

siljewiehauge
Frequent Visitor

DAX Measure for Active Contracts based on a value

Hello! 

I'm new to Power BI so please ask if what I'm trying to do is not understandable. 

I have a table with Contracts and I've made a measure to show me the active contracts from day to day. This is the measure I've used, and it's working and gives med the active contracts from day to day. 

"CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Contracts); FILTER(Contracts; Contracts[Start Date] <= LASTDATE('Date'[Date]) && [Column] >= FIRSTDATE('Date'[Date])))"

I've put this into a line diagram to show progress over time. 

These contracts are in different areas. The areas are listed in a Column inside the same table as Contracts. I've grouped them into 3 groups, and what I want to do, is to have one line in the diagram for each of the areas, in addition to the line that shows total active contracts. 

How can I create a measure based on those specific values? Is there a better way to do it? Do I add something to the measure I already have, based on that specific group?

Thank you in advance for the help!  

4 REPLIES 4

Hello Siljewiehauge,

You can change your measure to be like below:

Day to day = calculate(COUNTROWS(Contracts),filter(ALL(Contracts[Start Date]),Contracts[Start Date]<=MAX(Contracts[Start Date])))

So by adding the measure to values and dates to axis you will get below visual:
1.PNG

If you want to get line for each contract type; just add contract type to legend and you will get below chart
2.PNG

Hope thats answering your question 🙂

Please don't hesitate to ask if anything else.
Best wishes.

Hello, and thank you! I've already done that, with the measure that I have. And I have the Active Contracts in a line diagram, it's working.

When I try to add Grid Owner Name to legend, it's not working. Somehow the line flattens out.

And anyway I would need one line for total, than one line for each of those. 

So I thought if I could create one measure for total active contracts, as I already have; 

then one measure that used the same calculation, but only based on rows with the correct Grid owner name? Is that possible? 

Unfortunetaly, line chart can have only one measure.

However, there is a hack to do that:

1 . In Power Query window: copy you query

2 . Replace each contract type with the word "All"

3 . Append quiries together.

By doing those steps you will have doublicate data in your table with contract type called All 

Hope that's helps you.

Best wishes.

----------------------------------------------

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Tough to follow. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors