Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Largest Change from Previous month HELP

Hi team,

I'm trying to create a visual that shows the top 5 variables in a specific column that experienced the largest change since the previous month. So as we add data on a monthly basis, I would like to show the largest 'movers' each time we refresh the data (on a monthly basis). The variables are string values. 

My inputs are the following measures I've created:

Current Month = CALCULATE((COUNTROWS( 'CLIENT DATASET')))
Previous month Count  CALCULATE( COUNTROWS('CLIENT DATASET') , PREVIOUSMONTH('CLIENT DATASET'[Time of Breach]))
Difference = [Current Month] - [Previous month Count]

When I apply the final Measure (Difference) to the variable in the table I want to analyse the monthly change (a column with string values, not numbers, but thats where i presume the [Current Month] measure comes in) and create a table visual out of it,  I get the exact same output if I were to create a table visual with the variable against count per variable. 

Please help in informing me how im going about this problem in the wrong manner. 

cheers

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Not very clear. But TOPN and Rank can help you

example top 5 client by difference

Top 5 Rank = CALCULATE([Difference ],TOPN(5,all('CLIENT DATASET'[CLIENT]),[Difference],DESC),VALUES('CLIENT DATASET'[CLIENT]))

For Rank Refer these links
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-2-of-3-calculated-measures
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Dynamic-TopN-made-easy-with-What-If-Parameter/ba-p/367415

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there,

Thank you for offering a solution.

I am trying to get the Top N relative changes , not absolute changes. So both your solution and my current one is showing absolute changes. E.g. X1 = 1000 , X2 = 3000 ; A1 = 200 A2 = 1000 . The larger relative change from month 1 to 2 happened to variable A not Variable X, but the current solution would show X above A in a table for instance. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add I have created a new measure which calculates the total for each column but only for the latest month: 

Current Month  = TOTALMTD(COUNTROWS('CLIENT DATASET'), 'CLIENT DATASET'[Dates] )

I have tried to create a similar measure for the previous month, but the output on any visual is always blank:

Previous month Count = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS('CLIENT DATASET') , PREVIOUSMONTH('CLIENT DATASET'[Dates]))

Any reasons why this is?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors