Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TBardien
Helper I
Helper I

DAX IF() no longer working

I am new to Power BI. 

I am taking reports over from a previous employee in my company. I downloaded the .pbix file from app.powerbi.com for updating.

When I opened up a custom column to edit it I get errors in the IF() statement, though the report seems to be running and refreshing. The errors are "unexpected expression 'BLANK'" and "unexpected expression '_time'".

The code looks like this:

Spoiler
Time in Quoting (hours) =
var _time = DATEDIFF(RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoting], RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoted], MINUTE) / 60
return IF(_time < 0, BLANK(), _time)

However, when I click enter on the code (without changing any of the code) the report breaks and I get a DAX syntax error:

Spoiler
The syntax for 'BLANK' is incorrect. (DAX(var _time = DATEDIFF(RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoting], RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoted], MINUTE) / 60return IF(_time < 0. BLANK(), _time))).

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to why this is happenning?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try a second "," in your code

var _time = DATEDIFF(RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoting], RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoted], MINUTE) / 60
return IF(_time < 0,, BLANK(), _time)

Power BI expect a number after your first , like 0,1 and waits  for the second statement of if.

Hope it's working for you

Bruening

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try a second "," in your code

return IF(_time < 0,, BLANK(), _time)

Power BI expect a number after your first , like 0,1 and waits  for the second statement of if.

Hope it's working for you

Bruening
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous.

If you had read the whole conversation, you'd have known that IF( _time >= 0, _time ) does not work, either. So it's not BLANK that's the issue.

And of course, if your code works, I'll have to eat my hat 🙂

Best
D
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous.

I hope for you, that my code dosen't work. I don't like eating hats 😉

Yes your right, BLANK isn't thr problem. Its the number. I expect that Power BI try to check  "_time < 0.BLANK()" but can't handle the number 0.BLANK (or" 4.Returns" in the other case). Probably he has german numbers in Porwer BI. We use , to seperate between integer and decimal.

Best regard

Bruening

@Anonymous @Anonymous 

It seems to be working. This is crazy:

CodeWorking.JPG

When I change the returniftrue parameter to an integer it works, So I did suspect PowerBI couldn't handle a variable for that parameter. But as I said, the sample code also did not work, which through me off.

How do I go about changing my PowerBI not to use german numbers???

Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing, though... By no means is if( x,, blank(), x) correct syntax in any decent language. As much as this if(x.. blank(). x) wouldn't be. Of course you can express 0 as 0. (if you have "." as the decimal point) but then you wouldn't use "." as the separator. This is exactly the same with ",". In German, the separator, as much as I remumber, is ";", not "." and not ",".

Best
D

Spaces BEFORE the comma seems to do the trick.

So instead of:

IF(_time < 0, BLANK(), _time)

you would make it:

IF(_time < 0 , BLANK(), _time)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @TBardien ,

the sample code is not working with the same problem. "4.Return" is not a correct number for Power B. 

I am not sure if its enoght to change the language in File --> Options & sttings --> options --> Regional settings

but ou can try a shot there 🙂

Best Regards

Bruening

@Anonymous 

Changing the language settings does not help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try it with an new report or with you old report. The model language can't be changed. If it's not working i haven't an idea what to do 😞

Unbenannt.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

VAR _time =
    DATEDIFF (
        RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoting],
        RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoted],
        MINUTE
    ) / 60
RETURN
    IF ( _time >= 0, _time )

Do the above.

Best

D

@Anonymous 

nope, still not working:

CodeWithError2.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

The DAX is correct. It's something wrong with your file. Please update PBI Desktop to the latest version and refresh the model.

By the way, is [Time in Quoting (hours] a measure or a calc column? If it's a measure, then this DAX might or might not be correct. I can't say because you're not following Best Practices. Are '...'[Quoted] and '...'[Quoting] measures?

Best
D

@Anonymous 

calc column i think, this is the properties of it.

Codeproperties.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. Try to remove the IF and instead return just _time. See if this works. If not, change the name of the variable to __time (with 2 underscores).

Tell me the outcome.

Best
D

@Anonymous 
It does return if I remove the IF(). However, im going to need to be able to use the IF().
I uninstalled PowerBI and reinstalled, it still did not work.

I also downloaded the PowerBI sample "Sales & Returns Sample v201912Sales & Returns Sample v201912" and I got the error there too for the code:
Product Returns Top 3 = IF([ProductR Top N]<4,[Returns],0)

The syntax for '[Returns]' is incorrect. (DAX(IF([ProductR Top N]<4.[Returns],0))).

PowerBISampleError.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is very weird. The above can be written as:

( [ProductR Top N] < 4 ) * [Returns]

Your previous one can be written as:

( _time >= 0 ) * _time

But not being able to use IF... that's not good 😞

Best
D
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@TBardien  Looks like you are using "." instead of a comma.

Corrected 

If you find this answer useful, please mark this as an accepted solution. 

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

@nandukrishnavs I am using a "," You can see when you view the code, However, when the error pops up, it shows a "." This is the code that breaks:

@TBardien  - I have formatted the DAX measure.

Try to copy-paste below code.

VAR _time =
    DATEDIFF (
        RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoting],
        RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoted],
        MINUTE
    ) / 60
RETURN
    IF ( _time < 0, BLANK (), _time )

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Copied the code, still the same error:

The syntax for 'BLANK' is incorrect. (DAX(VAR _time = DATEDIFF ( RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoting], RequestWorkflowHistory[Quoted], MINUTE ) / 60RETURN IF ( _time < 0. BLANK (), _time ))).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors