Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hawkeyes12
Frequent Visitor

DAX IF Sum Statement

Hello,

I need help with creating a DAX Formula. I have four columns in my table called "Transactions":

1. Date

2. Fund ID

3. Frequency

4. Dividends

And I need to write a formula that does the following:

• If [Frequency]="M" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 30 days
  • If [Frequency]="Q" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 90 days
  • If [Frequency]="A" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 365 days

Could someone please help me with this? I am new to DAX and am lost on whether I should use the Calculate formula, IF formula, etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hawkeyes12 , let your measures be:

1. DividendSum =  SUM(YourTable[Dividends])
  2. HighestDate = MAXX(ALL('Table'[end date 1]),'Table'[end date 1])
  3. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -30))
  4. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -90))
  5. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -365))
  6. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

If this solves the problem, kindly mark my response as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ahmedoye
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @hawkeyes12 , I like to break down my DAX into pieces to make it easier to write, read and understand. This is what you should write, assuming the dates start counting from today:

2. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -30))
  3. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -90))
  4. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -365))
  5. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

Hi @ahmedoye this is very helpful! If the dates don't start counting from today and instead start counting from the most recent date in the [Date] column, how would this change the formula? For example, this calculation will be performed in mid-March and the source file will include data from 2/28/2019 to 2/29/2020. The first date that we would want included in the 30, 90 and 365 day calculation is 2/29/2020.
I am having a very hard time with the date functions so any guidance you may have is very appreciated!

@hawkeyes12 , let your measures be:

2. HighestDate = MAXX(ALL('Table'[end date 1]),'Table'[end date 1])
  3. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -30))
  4. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -90))
  5. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -365))
  6. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

@ahmedoye Thank you!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You likely want to use a SWITCH statement. And you will likely want to calculate your value using a SUMX statement with a FILTER although you could also use CALCULATE with a FILTER statement. So either:

SUMX(FILTER('Table',....),[Dividends])

or

CALCULATE(SUM([Dividends]),FILTER(...))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi - thank you for the response. Could you please explain what you mean by a SWITCH Statement?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors