Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hawkeyes12
Frequent Visitor

DAX IF Sum Statement

Hello,

I need help with creating a DAX Formula. I have four columns in my table called "Transactions":

1. Date

2. Fund ID

3. Frequency

4. Dividends

And I need to write a formula that does the following:

• If [Frequency]="M" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 30 days
  • If [Frequency]="Q" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 90 days
  • If [Frequency]="A" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 365 days

Could someone please help me with this? I am new to DAX and am lost on whether I should use the Calculate formula, IF formula, etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hawkeyes12 , let your measures be:

1. DividendSum =  SUM(YourTable[Dividends])
  2. HighestDate = MAXX(ALL('Table'[end date 1]),'Table'[end date 1])
  3. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -30))
  4. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -90))
  5. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -365))
  6. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

If this solves the problem, kindly mark my response as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ahmedoye
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @hawkeyes12 , I like to break down my DAX into pieces to make it easier to write, read and understand. This is what you should write, assuming the dates start counting from today:

2. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -30))
  3. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -90))
  4. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -365))
  5. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

Hi @ahmedoye this is very helpful! If the dates don't start counting from today and instead start counting from the most recent date in the [Date] column, how would this change the formula? For example, this calculation will be performed in mid-March and the source file will include data from 2/28/2019 to 2/29/2020. The first date that we would want included in the 30, 90 and 365 day calculation is 2/29/2020.
I am having a very hard time with the date functions so any guidance you may have is very appreciated!

@hawkeyes12 , let your measures be:

2. HighestDate = MAXX(ALL('Table'[end date 1]),'Table'[end date 1])
  3. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -30))
  4. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -90))
  5. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -365))
  6. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

@ahmedoye Thank you!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You likely want to use a SWITCH statement. And you will likely want to calculate your value using a SUMX statement with a FILTER although you could also use CALCULATE with a FILTER statement. So either:

SUMX(FILTER('Table',....),[Dividends])

or

CALCULATE(SUM([Dividends]),FILTER(...))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi - thank you for the response. Could you please explain what you mean by a SWITCH Statement?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors