Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hawkeyes12
Frequent Visitor

DAX IF Sum Statement

Hello,

I need help with creating a DAX Formula. I have four columns in my table called "Transactions":

1. Date

2. Fund ID

3. Frequency

4. Dividends

And I need to write a formula that does the following:

• If [Frequency]="M" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 30 days
  • If [Frequency]="Q" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 90 days
  • If [Frequency]="A" then sum the [Dividends] Column for the last 365 days

Could someone please help me with this? I am new to DAX and am lost on whether I should use the Calculate formula, IF formula, etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ahmedoye Resolver I
Resolver I

Re: DAX IF Sum Statement

@hawkeyes12 , let your measures be:

1. DividendSum =  SUM(YourTable[Dividends])
  2. HighestDate = MAXX(ALL('Table'[end date 1]),'Table'[end date 1])
  3. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -30))
  4. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -90))
  5. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -365))
  6. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

If this solves the problem, kindly mark my response as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User IV
Super User IV

You likely want to use a SWITCH statement. And you will likely want to calculate your value using a SUMX statement with a FILTER although you could also use CALCULATE with a FILTER statement. So either:

SUMX(FILTER('Table',....),[Dividends])

or

CALCULATE(SUM([Dividends]),FILTER(...))

---------------------------------------

Putting square pegs in round holes since 1972.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

hawkeyes12
Frequent Visitor

Hi - thank you for the response. Could you please explain what you mean by a SWITCH Statement?

ahmedoye Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @hawkeyes12 , I like to break down my DAX into pieces to make it easier to write, read and understand. This is what you should write, assuming the dates start counting from today:

2. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -30))
  3. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -90))
  4. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= TODAY() -365))
  5. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

hawkeyes12
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ahmedoye this is very helpful! If the dates don't start counting from today and instead start counting from the most recent date in the [Date] column, how would this change the formula? For example, this calculation will be performed in mid-March and the source file will include data from 2/28/2019 to 2/29/2020. The first date that we would want included in the 30, 90 and 365 day calculation is 2/29/2020.
I am having a very hard time with the date functions so any guidance you may have is very appreciated!

ahmedoye Resolver I
Resolver I

@hawkeyes12 , let your measures be:

2. HighestDate = MAXX(ALL('Table'[end date 1]),'Table'[end date 1])
  3. MDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "M" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -30))
  4. QDividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "Q" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -90))
  5. ADividends = CALCULATE([DividendSum], FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Frequency] = "A" && YourTable[Date] >= [HighestDate] -365))
  6. DividendsUsed = SWITCH(TRUE(), YourTable[Frequency] = "M", [MDividends], YourTable[Frequency] = "Q", QDividends, YourTable[Dividends] = "A", ADividends)

View solution in original post

hawkeyes12
Frequent Visitor

@ahmedoye Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Do you need help in Spanish? Check out our new Spanish community section.

April 2020 Community Highlights

April 2020 Community Highlights

Info on our Super Users, MBAS content and badges, and updates to our support articles. - Read the full Community Highlights.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.