Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sla5ha
Frequent Visitor

DAX HELP - How to implement dynamic totals when conditionally aggregating

Hi there,

Was wondering if someone could help..

I have the following DAX Expression:

_UsageLastXDays = 
VAR MinUsageDate =
    CALCULATE ( MIN ( Dates[DateISO] ), GameUsage )
RETURN
    IF (
        MinUsageDate
            > TODAY () - NewUsageRange[NewUsageRange Value],
        [UsedGamesForBilling]
    )

which is looking for the minium date in the context of the "games usage" total and then returning the measure "UsedGamesForBilling" only when the minimum value returned is greater than today - a parameter value. For this exmaple it's set to 10 days.

The result then produces this at customer level (column A). It's evaluating correctly for each row. however as you can see the total is blank, which is expected because it has no context of the row it's evaluating. It's only when I wrap the function above in SUMX (AltUsage column) using the context in the first column that I can produce a total. This is fine at this level. 

helpfile1.png

However...

helpfile2.png

if I expand the context out to two columns, the total will still give me the same result as above. This is also expected because I hard coded the dax to column A only. 

What I'd like to know is how I reconfigure the DAX (as outlined above) so that I can make it work, given whatever row context enters my table. the total will sum the visibile rows? e.g. JUST column A = 4. Column A + B VISIBLE = 38

Is this possible somehow dynammically?  

Help will be appriciated 🙂 

3 REPLIES 3
Sla5ha
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Pat, 

Much appreciated for your swift response.

I implimented this and it is still not producing totals. What am I doing wrong?

_AltUsageLastXDays2 = 
    VAR Usage = [_UsageLastXDays]
    RETURN
            IF(ISINSCOPE(B),   

sumx(values(A),usage),

sumx(SUMMARIZE(GameUsage,A,B),
    Usage)

)

What happens if I want to expand to more than A + B with C being an unknown? Is this possible? 

I assume A and B in your expression are actual Table[Column] names.  Also, the way you are using the variable will not be calculated dynamically for each row of the virtual table (Values and Summarize).  You need to put your [_UsageLastXDays] there instead.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If it is just those two scenarios (A or A+B) then you can use ISINSCOPE on the B column to determine which expression to return.  Use your one above for the A only scenario, and the SUMMARIZE equivalent with A and B for that scenario.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors