Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Merc100
Frequent Visitor

DAX Equivalent for Excel SUMIFS Where Lookup Field Contains Partial Text from Another Field

Morning all,

I am relatively new to DAX and have scoured the forums but not found anything that quite works yet.

I am trying to sum each record where the Member No is contained within the Hierarchy string e.g. the first Member No occurs in rows 1, 10 and 12 and sums to 23, whereas the 3rd Member No only appears in Hierarchy row 3 so sums to 3.

The excel formula is: SUMIFS([Amount],[Hierarchy],"*"&[Member No]&"*")

I tried adding "ab" to rows 5 & 9 as part of the attempt using the following formula to see if I could get close and then apply the "Like/contains" bit of logic but no luck: CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]),FILTER(Table1,FIND("ab",Table1[Hierarchy],,0)<>0))

I have also tried CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Amount]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Member No]=EARLIER(Table1[Member No]))) as a start, also with the idea of getting close and then adding the Hierarchy element, also with no luck.

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Hopefully the description is understandable. Thank you in advance.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Merc100
Frequent Visitor

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this - I received a response on another post which does exactly what I need, which I have shown below

Column =
SUMX (
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Table' ),
PATHCONTAINS ( 'Table'[Hierarchy], EARLIER ( 'Table'[Member No] ) )
),
'Table'[Amount]
)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Merc100
Frequent Visitor

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this - I received a response on another post which does exactly what I need, which I have shown below

Column =
SUMX (
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Table' ),
PATHCONTAINS ( 'Table'[Hierarchy], EARLIER ( 'Table'[Member No] ) )
),
'Table'[Amount]
)

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

@Merc100 in a calculated column

=sumx(filter(table,find(earlier(table[member no]),table[hierarchy],,0),table[amount])

Merc100
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @HotChilli ,  I will next time - only reason I didnt was that my source was Excel, which isnt supported as an attachment here

vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Merc100 

You can simple copy paste the excel table in the message body. Alternatively, you can save the file in onedrive/google drive and share the link.

Cheers!
Vivek

Blog: vivran.in/my-blog
Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter

Thanks Vivek, I know for next time!

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

I think this will do it .  Please post data (not a picture) for faster answers next time.

ColumnA = VAR _no = TableWW[no]
RETURN
    CALCULATE(SUM(TableWW[amount]), FILTER(ALL(TableWW), CONTAINSSTRING(TableWW[hierarchy], _no)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors