Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ricardo77
Helper II
Helper II

DAX Doubt (bidrectionality and cardinality between some tables)

Hello,  due to confidentiality i don’t have a PBIX neither data to send, but i think i have the MOC and the right information to share.

imageG1.png

I’m trying to create a table that shows the Client that has the highest number of Hostnames (in table Win). I want to do something similiar in table SQL but i’ll procede with the Win example.

Simply placing the email and a measure, this is painfully slow, like 50 minutes…

Test = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(‘Win’[Hostname]),
CROSSFILTER(AD[Key_Not_Showing_onImage], DoesntHelp[key1], None),
CROSSFILTER(Bridge1[key_AD], DoesntHelp[key2] , None),
)

I was trying to do a SUMMARIZE, like this, but it doesn’t work, due to the fact that the relation between AD and Bridge1 is n to 1. Notice the red box.

Test = CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT(‘Win’[Hostname]),
SUMMARIZE(Client[email],AD[keyAD],Bridge1[key_AD],Win[key_AD]
CROSSFILTER(AD[Key_Not_Showing_onImage], DoesntHelp[key1], None),
CROSSFILTER(Bridge1[key_AD], DoesntHelp[key2] , None),

)

So, if i create a filter in Client, like in column Company (not shown), it is relatively quick.
Ideally, I would like to get the clients with the highest number of Win Hostnames, of all companies (not filtered by company).
How can i do this calculation be quicker? In a measure or in a “virtual table”? If it is in a virtual table how can i show it in Power BI?

I would love if someone can help me out, and also referring videos or webcasts that allows us to understand these type of DAX calculations.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
PaulOlding
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Ricardo77 

SQL BI had a video this weekend on a scenario/model that seems very similar to this: https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/differences-between-generate-and-crossjoin-solving-business-scenarios-unplu... 

They used a SUMMARIZE of the AD table to move the filter to Bridge1.  On your diagram you have the arrows going both directions but I'm assuming your relationships are all single-direction.  If that's not the case you should look to have the single-direction: bi-directional relationships can be a cause of slow queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors