Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

razmochaev
Helper I
Helper I

DAX Creating Virtual table with columns computed from multiple fact tables

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with the following problem: I have two fact tables with sales data and several dimensions tables (Products and Dates).

I need to create a virtual table with the following columns:

Product IDSale DatePrevious Sale Date

The problem is that I have two fact tables from which the columns must be computed.

If anyone can provide a possible solution, or hint, or link to a thread with the same problem, I would be really grateful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@razmochaev 

I think it would be best to create not a virtual but a physical table that combines the two tables you now have. It will save you a lot of problems and time, I believe.

If you do want to find the previous date in the virtual table, you can do something like

MAXX(FILTER(VirtualTable, [Date_] < currentdate_),[Date_])

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @razmochaev 

Can you show the structure of the tables needed to generate the result table? And explain how exactly the information in the result table should be obtained?

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

I'll give a simplified table structured (originally they are in Russian :-)). The point is that I cannot append the in Power query.

Screenshot_1.png

The resulting table I am trying to create must contain, for each product ID and its sales dates, the date of previous sale for this product for a given date.

How about using UNION() to get a table that has all the rows of the other two (just like an append in M) and then work with that table

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

But how can I compute the "Previous Sale Date" column of this virtual table. I cannot use CALCULATE(MAX(UnionTable[Sale date]),...) since I cannot use Virtual table's columns as a column reference...

@razmochaev 

I think it would be best to create not a virtual but a physical table that combines the two tables you now have. It will save you a lot of problems and time, I believe.

If you do want to find the previous date in the virtual table, you can do something like

MAXX(FILTER(VirtualTable, [Date_] < currentdate_),[Date_])

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

PBIDevFW
Frequent Visitor

This is not the answer. He clearly said he needed a virtual table. Therefore, the solutions should be based on his use case. In enterprise environments with live connect, you can't create physical tables. Probably why he wants a virtual table, so solutions should be based on virtual, not physical, tables.

Thank you for the advice! I guess it'll be easier.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors