Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jbbcormed
Frequent Visitor

DAX, Complex Measures, Drillthrough

Hi, 

I am intermediate with DAX and have a problem.

I have a complex Measure in a Card visual and I want to enable drill-through to a details page.

I used this article to enable drillthrough on the card visual - 

https://xxlbi.com/blog/card-drill-through-power-bi/

This article does describe the problem I am having but discusses a very complex solution that would probably not scale to alot of measures - 

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2018/12/21/power-bi-drillthrough-complex-measures/

Another post that discusses this issue - 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Drillthrough-on-measure-with-dax-filter-context-not-working...

Since this was written in 2018-2019, has there been any additional features that would make solving this problem easier?

Once again, I am not great with DAX, but is there a way to easily access the filter context of a measure and apply it to a table in a dynamic way (a way that doesn't requires creating duplicate measures for every drill-down filter)? Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Nothing has changed in DAX in this regard.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Luis_Ma
Frequent Visitor

I think there is no way.

But you can put the filters of the DAX measure in the panel filter of the page you use to drill down. If your measurements aren't too complex, it will work. Although it forces you to have a page for the detail of each measure.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Nothing has changed in DAX in this regard.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Thank you for the reply. With the introduction of Card visual drill-down in Sept 2020, I had hoped this would've changed.  I will try the way described above for individual measures. 

For anyone with ears inside Microsoft - this is needed for an elegant drill-down experience! This is also a problem in Power Pivot based Pivot Tables. Pivot Tables have had implicit measure drill-down for many years, but no explicit measure drill-down, you have carried this problem over to Power BI via SSAS and Tabular Model technology, how do you expect broad adoption of DAX and measures without native ability to apply measure filter context in drill-down?

Users describe this problem all the time, but don't know how to express it on your ideas page. When I see an explicit measure as KPI in a card visual, I want to drill-down and what makes up that number, so do your users!

I can also see an approach in doing this in Power Query (sum/count with IF as custom column) but that would make my models huge or in DAX as calculated columns (SWITCH). But I would have to create a calculated column for each implicit measure to count/sum criteria and would restrict me in doing what are essentially very simple implicit measures in the model. But the common wisdom I have seen is to avoid complex calculated columns and use measures. Very confusing advice, this topic, and a conflicting message.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors