Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PeteDTG
Frequent Visitor

DAX - Average of a Distinct Count

Hello,

Looking for some help with a DAX formula.  If you see the image below I am taking the distinct count of the employee_code field to obtain the number of employees per month.  However, I also need to show the last trailing 12 months as an average of the distinct counts.  How would I go about doing this in DAX? 

I can get a distinct count for the last 12 months using the formula below, but it needs to be an average and not a count.

Head Count LTM = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(PaycomHours[Employee_Code]),DATESINPERIOD ('edw dimDate'[Date],MAX ( 'edw dimDate'[Date]),-12,MONTH))

Thank you!!

PeteDTG_1-1629325871886.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PeteDTG , Try a measure like

CALCULATE(averageX(values('edw dimDate'[month year]), calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(PaycomHours[Employee_Code]))),DATESINPERIOD ('edw dimDate'[Date],MAX ( 'edw dimDate'[Date]),-12,MONTH))

View solution in original post

community_pinki
Helper II
Helper II

Hey @PeteDTG ,

Please try using this :-

Avg of Head Count LTM = CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(PaycomHours,DISTINCTCOUNT(PaycomHours[Employee_Code])),DATESINPERIOD
('edw dimDate'[Date],MAX ( 'edw dimDate'[Date]),-12,MONTH))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
community_pinki
Helper II
Helper II

Hey @PeteDTG ,

Please try using this :-

Avg of Head Count LTM = CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(PaycomHours,DISTINCTCOUNT(PaycomHours[Employee_Code])),DATESINPERIOD
('edw dimDate'[Date],MAX ( 'edw dimDate'[Date]),-12,MONTH))

You are awesome, thank you so much! Didn't think to use AVERAGEX! 🙂 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PeteDTG , Try a measure like

CALCULATE(averageX(values('edw dimDate'[month year]), calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(PaycomHours[Employee_Code]))),DATESINPERIOD ('edw dimDate'[Date],MAX ( 'edw dimDate'[Date]),-12,MONTH))

Thank you so much!! 😁

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors