Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DATESBETWEEN- how to select the respective contract starts and end date from list of customer

Hi All,

Good day!

I am trying to solve two questions below:-

1. I am trying to write a DAX which calculates the total sales between contract start date and 31 Oct 2021 for respective customer. Each of the customers has own different contract start date in data table. May I know what DAX I should use in the "start date" below since it requires an expression?

Contract start to current month =
    CALCULATE([Total Sales],DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date], [Start Date], date(2021,10,31)))

2. If I want to import the 'end date' above from excel file whereby i would change the end date whenever i want in excel (consists of just one column and one value in one cell) and subsequently refresh the PBI, rather than going into PBI to edit the formula, what DAX should i use to replace the hardcoding "2021,10,31' above?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

According to your description, I can roughly understand your requirement, I think you can use the Filter() function to simply achieve your needs,  you can try these measures:

Contract Start =

CALCULATE(MIN('Contract details'[Contract Date]),FILTER(ALL('Contract details'),[Customer]=MAX('Contract details'[Customer])))
Sales from Contract Start =

CALCULATE(SUM('Contract details'[Sales amount]),FILTER(ALL('Contract details'),[Contract Date]>=[Contract Start]&&[Contract Date]<=DATE(2021,12,31)&&[Customer]=MAX('Contract details'[Customer])))

And you can  place them into a table chart to get what you want, like this:

vrobertqmsft_3-1636537720301.png

You can download my test pbix file below

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

According to your description, I can roughly understand your requirement, I think you can use the Filter() function to simply achieve your needs,  you can try these measures:

Contract Start =

CALCULATE(MIN('Contract details'[Contract Date]),FILTER(ALL('Contract details'),[Customer]=MAX('Contract details'[Customer])))
Sales from Contract Start =

CALCULATE(SUM('Contract details'[Sales amount]),FILTER(ALL('Contract details'),[Contract Date]>=[Contract Start]&&[Contract Date]<=DATE(2021,12,31)&&[Customer]=MAX('Contract details'[Customer])))

And you can  place them into a table chart to get what you want, like this:

vrobertqmsft_3-1636537720301.png

You can download my test pbix file below

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @v-robertq-msft 

Thank you so much for your suggestion. it is very helpful! 😀
Appreciate it.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try a measure like

sales =
var _max1 = maxx(allselected('Date'),'Date'[Date])
var _min1 = minx(allselected('Date'),'Date'[Date])
var _max2 = minx(allselected('Sales'),'Sales'[Contract Start])
var _min2 = maxx(allselected('Sales'),'Sales'[Contract End])
var _min = max(_min1, _max2)
var _max = min(_max1,_min2)
return
calculate(sumx(values(Sales[customer]),[Total Sales]), filter('Date','Date'[Date] >=Min && 'Date'[Date]<=_max))

or check if these can help

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend/ba-p/882970

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-divide-distribute-values-between-start-date-or-end-date/ba-p/1503785

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

Thank you for your advise. Unfortunately I am very new to Power BI and I couldn't really understand the logic of the measures you suggested.

Basically I have two sets of data. First is the sales table in the past 2 years and second is the contract details for each customer as shown below. I would like to calculate the sales from the start date of contract up to 31 Oct 2021 for each customer. Can I use the Datesbetween function? If so, what expresison should I use to replace the "Start Date" in the formula below?

Contract start to current month = CALCULATE([Total Sales],DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date], [Start Date], date(2021,10,31)))

Can i actually replace it with Max('Contract details' [Contract Start]), since it only has one start date for each customer?

Spacewalker_1-1636434963166.png

thank you!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors