Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Customers who bought the same product from a different distributor in a different channel

Hello,

I am trying to wrap my head around creating a DAX expression that can tell me customers who earlier bought a product from a non-digital distribution channel but then at a later date bought that same product from a digital distributor.  I am hoping for the expression to indicate the First Buy of that product and then the Repeat buy as my results.

Below is an example of my data set with my desired outcome in the Result column.

markjohnson952_0-1601585674560.png

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@markjohnson952 , Create these columns. The first two can be variable inside the third one

Min Date CT= minx(filter(table,[customer] =earlier([customer])),[Date Sold])

Min Date CT DC = minx(filter(table,[customer] =earlier([customer]) && [Distribution Channel] =earlier([Distribution Channel])),[Date Sold])

flag = Switch(true() ,
[Date Sold] =[Min Date CT] , "First Buy",
[Date Sold] =[Min Date CT DC ] , "Repeat",
blank())

@amitchandak 

Thanks!

Is it possible to use only a measure to solve this problem?

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @markjohnson952 , Surely both Power Query and DAX do the trick; but you'd better paste your dataset so that others don't need to spend too much time typing all data.

cheers

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

CustomerDate SoldProductDistribution ChannelDistributorResult
Don1/7/2020BreadNon-DigitalCubFirst Buy
Don1/10/2020BreadNon-DigitalCub 
Don2/20/2020BreadDigitalRainbowRepeat
Don8/1/2020BreadNon-DigitalLunds 
Don9/3/2020BreadDigitalRainbow 
Don9/10/2020BreadDigitalRainbow 
Don10/1/2020BreadDigitalRainbow 
Greta4/5/2020PensNon-DigitalOfficeMax 
Greta1/20/2020PensDigitalCostco 
Jack3/3/2020SoapNon-DigitalTJ Maxx 
Jack2/10/2020SoapDigitalREI 
Mark5/28/2020PillowsNon-DigitalHomegoodsFirst Buy
Mark6/2/2020PillowsNon-DigitalPier 1 
Mark7/7/2020PillowsDigitalKohlsRepeat
Jim10/1/2020BeerDigitalTotal Wine 
Jim9/20/2020BeerDigitalHaskells 

Hi, @markjohnson952 , as mentioned before, a PQ solution is available. Pls refer to the code below (not very elegant to be honest😂),

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("lZJNTwIxEIb/ymbPmG6LCntVjLiKEiXxQDiUZcCG0jHdJfDzHXClwy7BcOpHnqczb9vxOO6hi1uxFB2hEpXQ9M6DntH4iu6qZxam1JZW9+tpPGkFXCaX8IrgOh/Yd23cFDeM7wp5/viXtZsVTEhF+5Lz0xP9n+OJbjR0mn/0UGrauxY3f8IQXNEI8DafmxwGentkSXZPlcauFIsyxz2f6XxJO+2Q+gP1d6PIKIuowpYriiWvHBbk4WnPDrTfsZSge+jGWIubZo4+rmCBWD1GJd4K9Z83NOAjyaVO+IJBCsIzftnfIplZ1Z8EwB/BI6Qx+jQOmJHyT1g3+rpYgt1VmPwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Customer = _t, #"Date Sold" = _t, Product = _t, #"Distribution Channel" = _t, Distributor = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer", type text}, {"Date Sold", type date}, {"Product", type text}, {"Distribution Channel", type text}, {"Distributor", type text}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", 
        each 
            [
                achats = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Customer", "Product"}, {{"All", each _}}){[Customer = [Customer], Product = [Product]]}[All],
                #"non-digital" = Table.SelectRows(achats, each [Distribution Channel] = "Non-Digital"),
                #"first non-digital" = List.Min(#"non-digital"[Date Sold]),
                digital = Table.SelectRows(achats, each [Distribution Channel] = "Digital" and [Date Sold] >= #"first non-digital"),
                #"first digital" = List.Min(#"digital"[Date Sold])??#date(1,1,1),
                result = 
                    if [Distribution Channel] = "Non-Digital" then 
                        if [Date Sold] = #"first non-digital" and #"first non-digital" <= #"first digital" then "First Buy" else ""
                    else
                        if [Date Sold] = #"first digital" then "Repeat" else ""
            ][result]
    )
in
    #"Added Custom"

Screenshot 2020-10-02 152818.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors