Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Date Parameters

Hi, I have a report with calculations based on the typical calendar day. However, I've been tasked with reporting my calculations to overlap to 2 calendar days i.e. between 5pm (previous day) to 5pm (next day).

How would I approach this since all my calculations are linked to my calendar table? I know the question maybe vague so here's an example:

I have a measure that calculates the total amount of job bookings in a day and they range from 12 midnight to 11.59pm. Now I need to calculate total job bookings between 5pm (previous day) to 5pm (next day). Hope that makes sense.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. 

10 REPLIES 10
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You might consider that you need a calendar table with the granularity of hours, rather than the normal days. Then on each row you put a new "day" value that corresponds to your 5:00 to 5:00 day.

Then if you have records with date/time values hooked up to a date/time field in your calendar table..you can query for the records in a "day", meaning your offset row, and you can count the number of records in that "offset" "day"

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kentyler Thank you for responding. Do you have a sample calendar table I can reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYn1hfdSAM

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kentyler I was hoping for sample calendar table with granularity in hours as you suggested...

sorry, I would build something like that in Access or Excel, but I don't have one already to hand

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also building this in Excel PowerPivot so was hoping if you could provide a sample date table with hours and some sample mock data to show how to calculate the offsets and integrate/link with my existing date table? If not possible, then no problem I'll reach out to other members in the forum. Thanks. 

sorry, that's a lot of work for a forum like this