Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Deevo_
Resolver I
Resolver I

Currency Symbol not displaying in Card visual with SWITCH statement

I am new to DAX and I have tried to implement solutions on this community forums into my switch statement, but I am not sure where I am going wrong? I believe I must use the FORMAT command, but unsure how to structure this into my switch statement.

Below is my selector measure and switch measure that I have created as measures. This "Selector measure" is used as a toggle between the different metrics ($ and FTE). The "Switch Measure" works fine when used in a table/matrix.

Many thanks in advance!

Problem:
Everytime i switch to the Currency metric, the Symbol does not display as a prefix to the numbers. Can you please help me modify my measures to allow the Currency symbol to display when only the $ metric is selected, and for FTE is just default to no prefix?

Other Measures used within the Switch measure:
  • [Costing ($)] =  SUM(Totalcostperproject)
  • [Costing (FTE)] = SUM(TotalFTEperperson)
Selector Measure:  
Selector = UNION(ROW("Type","Hrs."),ROW("Type","Wks."),ROW("Type","FTE"), Row("Type","$."))
Switch Measure:
Cost Selection = var selectitem=IF(HASONEVALUE(Selector[Type]),VALUES(Selector[Type]),BLANK())
return
SWITCH(selectitem,
"$"[Costing ($)],
"FTE"[Costing (FTE)],
BLANK())
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi amitchandak, I could not achieve the result I was after in DAX. So instead I used Bookmarks to create two separate versions of the cards, one with the $ measure, and one for the whole number measure. Then added a toggle button to switch between the two bookmarks. Not ideal, but it works for now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Deevo_
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi amitchandak,

I have been trying to get my head around this, but when trying to add in the FORMAT command into my SWITCH statement, I am not getting the results I am after. All I want to achieve is to display the $ symbol if I toggle the selector to "$", and the other value will be a General Number without any prefixes.

I don't want to create any additional tables.

I forgot to mention that in my version of PowerBI Desktop, the "Field parameters" in the "Options" is not available. So I will need a DAX method, if possible.

Can you help me to structure my SWITCH statement to add in the FORMAT?

Thank you

Deevo_
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi amitchandak, Thanks for your reply. I will have a play with links you have provided and let you know how I go!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Deevo_ ,Create measure selector using Field Parameters

Power BI Field Parameters — A Quick way for Dynamic Visuals: https://amitchandak.medium.com/power-bi-field-parameters-a-quick-way-for-dynamic-visuals-fc4095ae9af...
Switch TOPN with Field Parameters: https://amitchandak.medium.com/switch-topn-with-field-parameters-299a0ae3725f
Field Parameters- Conditional Formatting: https://amitchandak.medium.com/field-parameters-conditional-formatting-517aacc23fdf
Power BI Field Parameters- Measure Slicer and Axis/Dimension slicer: https://youtu.be/lqF3Wa1FllE

Hi amitchandak, I could not achieve the result I was after in DAX. So instead I used Bookmarks to create two separate versions of the cards, one with the $ measure, and one for the whole number measure. Then added a toggle button to switch between the two bookmarks. Not ideal, but it works for now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors