Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KrisD
Helper II
Helper II

Cumulative total for previous week does not work even though standard pattern is used

Hi!

I can't seem to get the rolling total to work, even though I (at least I think I do) have used the variations of cumulative patterns from SQL BI guys, Chandeep and Enterprise DNA. Obviously there's something I'm missing here!

I get the date range as expected, but none of the patterns I have tried work. What's missing?

släng.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @KrisD 

Check this link:

https://www.vahiddm.com/post/weekly-time-intelligence-dax 

Hi

Can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not enough information to go on;

please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.
4. Relation between your tables

Appreciate your Kudos!!
LinkedIn:www.linkedin.com/in/vahid-dm/

Hi, I've created a sample file with data, measures and desired result. --> https://easyupload.io/1okeq9

I got the WTD to work, I'm having issues with Previous month instead, which is defined in the file. 

ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hej,

For running total in a column the dax is a bit different. Try something like this:

RT =
CALCULATE(Sum(Cumulativetotal[Value]),

ALL('Cumulativetotal'),Cumulativetotal[Date]<=EARLIER(Cumulativetotal[Date]))

ValtteriN_0-1642152899558.png

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi and thanks for the swift reply!

Actually it's not supposed to be calculated as a column in this context, I made the table in DAX Studio in order to troubleshoot. The calculation is intended for a visual as per below picture, where I either get the total for all the rows, or only on row by row context. But no cumulative I'm afraid. 

släng.PNG 

I see, in that case you could try removing the FILTER() in your CALCULATE. Now the FILTER filters a table where dates are smaller than the max date -> so all the dates and then it performs SUM operation -> SUM of all. This is the cause for your error. Referring to the SQLBI's example: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/computing-running-totals-in-dax/

Sales RT :=
VAR MaxDate = MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) -- Saves the last visible date
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [Sales Amount],           -- Computes sales amount
        'Date'[Date] <= MaxDate,  -- Where date is before the last visible date
        ALL ( Date )              -- Removes any other filters from Date
    )

The example syntax doesn't have FILTER because of this reason.

Hi!

I appreciate your input, thank you!

The problem with your code is that do not have any external filters coming to the visual. The timeperiods are calculated by the use of SELECTEDVALUE. 
The following is the complete code where I check if the user wants to see current week, current month, previous week and previous month. 

släng.PNG

Hi,

If you are using slicer to select Period you can use ALLSELECTED. Here my slicer is linked to calendar and my imaginary period only includes values from January:

ValtteriN_0-1642157268605.png

Slicer not applied:

ValtteriN_1-1642157294952.png

Applied:

ValtteriN_2-1642157313127.png

Dax:

Period RT =
VAR MaxDate = MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) -- Saves the last visible date
RETURN
CALCULATE (
SUM(Cumulativetotal[Value]), --
'Calendar example'[Date] <= MaxDate,
ALLSELECTED( ( 'Calendar' ) ) )

So you can either use ALLSELECTED and proceed with the SWITCH + TRUE or alternatively you can create link between calendar and your slicer table via calculated column

Thanks for your time, but I'm not sure I follow.

Your code only works in a pre-defined context, like the table previously posted where the dates are already set?

I need to virtually create the table with the min and max date and do the running total in that context. 
However, I tried your code in the measure and below is the input + results.

släng.PNGsläng.PNG

Hi @KrisD ,

According to your statement, I think All/Allselect function in code is correct ,if you want to calculate cumulative total.

Your measure logic looks correct. Sometimes it should look like as below.

cumulative total = calculate([Antal lastade ton],Filter(All(Table),[Date]<=Max([Date])))

However this measure should be based on [Antal lastade ton] as well. Could you share a sample without sensitive data with us and show us the result you want? This will make it easier for us to find the solution.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, sorry for delayed response. I'm attaching a sample file link because I could not find the option to attach it here. File --> https://easyupload.io/1okeq9

I got the WTD to work, I'm having issues with Previous month instead, which is defined in the file. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors