Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cumulative Sum or Running Total

Hi community,

I have a little problem calculating a cumulative sum (or running total) via dax. As shown by my data model, I have two fact tables and a calendar table linked together via the "Date" column. The objective is to represent on the X axis the WD_in_the_month and for the whole of the various days, show the cumulative sum of the two amount values Fact_Delivery_note [Amount] and Fact_Invoince_Line [Amount] on the Y axis.
I enclose a screen with an example of the data available, bearing in mind that I have a two-year history and I do not have time filters in the dashboard and I have to represent the daily data for each month (e.g. I use start_date and date_today () to identify the reference time period as in the example from 1 to 07/07/2020).

I try this solution (attach script in dax) but it doesn't work.Data ModelData ModelMeasure Dax CodeMeasure Dax Code

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

We can typically get Cumulative  as measure like this

Cumm Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=maxx(date,date[date])))
Cumm Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(Sales[Sales Date])))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit,

where do i upload a pbix file here?

I add further details to the problem you existed. Having available data covering several years, my goal is based on the time period of reference (eg. the reason why I insert in the code VAR DATE_TODAY ()) to identify the portion of the data of my interest (eg data that do from 2019 to 2020, I select only the current month October 2020 and i don't use a filter time period) and I calculate the cumulative sum of that period but the DAX code does not give me the desired results.

Attached I uploaded additional screens to make the problem clearer:

1) For each table in the yellow data model I have selected my period of interest (October 2020);
2) The DAX code and the result that comes from the graphs

DAX_Code_Chart.PNGTable_Calendar.PNGTable_Delivery.PNGTable_Invoice.PNG

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me to solve this problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amitchandak,

You can see the sample data and data model in the screen above.

Is everything clear or you need a more details?

Thanks in advance.

Fabio

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors