Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jessifi
Frequent Visitor

Creating measure to give first result from related tables

I have two tables

Quarter 1 table- A list of sales associated with a Customer ID. Each sale indicates the product purchased and gives a customer rating for that product.

Customer IDProduct CodeCustomer rating
0001Bike # 7A
0002Bell #1B
0003Bike # 5B

Product table - A list of unique products and the category that they are associated with.  There are seven categories.

ProductCategory
Bike # 7Bike
Bike # 5Bike
Bell #1Bell

The two tables are related through a one to many relationship from Product to ProductCode.

I want to create a measure "Bike Category Rating"  that for each customer ID will return the first customer rating in the list based off of the product category "Bike" and will provide a blank response if there is no bike category rating

Eg  would look as below in a table

Customer IDBike category ratingBell Category rating
0001A 
0002 B
0003B 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I don't see a date column, so I assume there is a single value only for any customer/category combination in your actual model.  If so, this should work:

Make a matrix visual with Customer ID column on the rows, and Category column from the Product table.  Then put a measure like this in the values area - Rating = Min(Quarter[Customer rating])

Since you have a single value for each combo, this should work (Max would work same).  You could also just drag the rating column in the values area and choose 'First' aggregation.

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@jessifi 

You could do this using EditQuery.

Create a blank query and copy-paste below query. Then go to steps one by one and understand it.

Product table 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCijKTylNLlHSUXJOLElNzy+qVIrViVZyysxOVVBWMAeKg5jIYqYoYqk5OQrKhiAhIEspNhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"(blank).1" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(blank)", type text}, {"(blank).1", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Product", type text}, {"Category", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

pro.JPG

Quarter 1 table

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wci4tLsnPTS1S8HRR0lEKKMpPKU0uUXDOT0kFcuGSRYklmXnpSrE60UoGBgaGQCmnzOxUBWUFcyDTESZuBBJPzclRUAargAkbI5SbQsRjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"(blank).1" = _t, #"(blank).2" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(blank)", type text}, {"(blank).1", type text}, {"(blank).2", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Promoted Headers", {"Product Code"}, #"Product table", {"Product"}, "Product table", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Product table" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Product table", {"Category"}, {"Product table.Category"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Product table",{"Product Code"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[#"Product table.Category"]), "Product table.Category", "Customer rating")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

qt.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Hi nandukrishnavs,

I couldn't get your solution to work,  I think i'm just a little bit too inexperienced but I manged to solve my problem by using an IF statment to create a new column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors