Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a list between start date and end date to corresponding days of the week

Hi all

I have the following data.  I would like to create a list of dates between start and end dates. I have tried using a List but because I have the days of the week (attribute) listed as well as the corresponding time worked (value) , I get a list dates between the two dates, 7 times. What I need to see is the date against each week day that is between the start and end dates. I suppose basically something like a fill down or formula that adds 1 day increment to each row and then on the 8th row, it starts from that date and adds 1 day increments again. 

Can anyone help me out please?

dates.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pbi101
Frequent Visitor

Hi @KazL,

Please try this ...

Just add the Ordinal value of [Attribute] to the [Start of Week]

eg. Date.AddDays([Start of Week], List.PositionOf({"Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat","Sun"},[Attribute]))

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8s3PU9JRMtI3sNA3MjAyBLKBLBgnVidaKaQ0Fb+C8NQUAiZklOJX4FaUiV9BcGIJAQWlBHwB86ahIUjMAKIAxkH2Jk4FMG/iNgHqTZwKYN7EqQDmTdwKSvH5IhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Attribute = _t, #"Start of Week" = _t, #"Week Ending" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Start of Week", type date}, {"Week Ending", type date}}),
#"Added Week Day Number" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Week Day Number", each List.PositionOf({"Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat","Sun"},[Attribute]), Int64.Type),
#"Added Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Week Day Number", "Date", each Date.AddDays([Start of Week],[Week Day Number]), type date)
in
#"Added Date"

pbi101_0-1630319541342.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pbi101
Frequent Visitor

Hi @KazL,

Please try this ...

Just add the Ordinal value of [Attribute] to the [Start of Week]

eg. Date.AddDays([Start of Week], List.PositionOf({"Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat","Sun"},[Attribute]))

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8s3PU9JRMtI3sNA3MjAyBLKBLBgnVidaKaQ0Fb+C8NQUAiZklOJX4FaUiV9BcGIJAQWlBHwB86ahIUjMAKIAxkH2Jk4FMG/iNgHqTZwKYN7EqQDmTdwKSvH5IhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Attribute = _t, #"Start of Week" = _t, #"Week Ending" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Start of Week", type date}, {"Week Ending", type date}}),
#"Added Week Day Number" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Week Day Number", each List.PositionOf({"Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat","Sun"},[Attribute]), Int64.Type),
#"Added Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Week Day Number", "Date", each Date.AddDays([Start of Week],[Week Day Number]), type date)
in
#"Added Date"

pbi101_0-1630319541342.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks pbi101. That worked well. Was just what I needed. 

I appreciate your time in helping me out. 

Cheers

Samarth_18
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can follow below article. It helped me previously for same issue:-

https://www.cloudfronts.com/how-to-list-all-dates-between-two-dates-in-powerbi-and-distribute-numbers-evenly-among-them/ 

Thanks, 

Samarth

Best Regards,
Samarth

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Connect on Linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Samarth. I have tried this but it didn't work as I get 7 lots of 7 days in the new column. This is because I have 7 rows of the same start and end date. 

Karen

@Anonymous , Something like this , a new column in M

List.Dates([Start Date], Duration.Days([End Date] - [Start Date]), #duration(1,0,0,0))

or

List.Dates([Start Date], Duration.Days([End Date] - [Start Date])+1, #duration(1,0,0,0))

Anonymous
Not applicable

That didn't work either @amitchandak 🙁 This is what I got. 

list dates.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak. I will give that a go. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors