Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RJ95
Frequent Visitor

Creating Dynamic Normal distribution Bell Curve in Power BI

Hi All,

I want a normal distribution curve for products launch price variance Year on Year for multiple locations. However I want the distribution curves to be dynamic depending on filters selected (Locations, Product Types etc.). Is there a way to achieve this using DAX measures that allows for dynamic Mean/Standard Deviation/Normal distribution of Year on year price variances?

Visually I am looking for something similar to below with dynamic curve based on filters a set with with each colour being a different location and the data points being Year on Year price variances of each product:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

RJ95

6 REPLIES 6
Robert14358
Resolver II
Resolver II

i am having the same issue and havent seen anyone help yet

Socksguy

Has there been any update since this post in 2019? I am looking to add a dynamic normal distribution bell curve to my report page. 
I am attempting to visualize employee performance across 4 departments under one facility. 

I have measures created for dynamic standard deviation and mean. These valuse of the measures will change with my slicers when I filter from Facility to individual departments to supervisors to associates. 

I can create a calculated column for normal distribution pdf values. However, when applying a slicer the column does not recalculate the pdf normal value with the new sample size and therefore, will not alter the bell curve. 

As far as I know, a measure in BI will not accept a column as an X value because it is looking for a sigular value for each calculation. So... using a measure for the normal pdf values is out.. 

Is there a way to create a "dynamic calculated column" that when I filter to a department, It will recalculate the normal pdf vaules based on the new sample size using only that departments performance outputs?

MRuiz-FDC
Frequent Visitor

Is there a solution for this? 

I am looking for this also.

RJ95
Frequent Visitor

Year LocationProductPriceYear on Year ActualYear on Year % variance
2018LeedsA100  
2018LondonB300  
2019LeedsB200  
2019LeedsA1202020%
2019LondonB2106030%
2020LeedsB1802010%
2020LeedsA903025%
2020LondonB2312110%

The above dataset is an example of what I would be using. I want each data point on the curve to represent the normal distribution of the Year on Year % variance for each product in a specific location. With each curve representing a different location. Obviously the dataset I will be dealing with will have far greater number of products to plot on the curve however I was wondering whether it is possible to present this all using measures? 

Can I use Year on Year % variance as a measure within the Norm.Dist function to plot the data points for multiple products in a Power BI visual?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

That being said, check out the NORM.DIST function. All of the parameters can be dynamic measures.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/norm-dist-dax

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors