Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating DAX measures while connected to OLAP cube.

Hello,

I am attempting to create measures while connected to an OLAP cube however it seems that i am unable to as they icons are grayed out.

Is there a workaround for this ?

Thank you for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in connect live mode now ? Currently, only Tabular model supports to create report level measures in Power BI Desktop. For multidimensional cubes, you can't create any measures or calculated columns. You can see:

Connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop

Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI Desktop

Followings are the related ideas shared on Power BI Ideas forum. You can vote them up and add your comments there to improve Power BI in the feature. 

Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in connect live mode now ? Currently, only Tabular model supports to create report level measures in Power BI Desktop. For multidimensional cubes, you can't create any measures or calculated columns. You can see:

Connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop

Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI Desktop

Followings are the related ideas shared on Power BI Ideas forum. You can vote them up and add your comments there to improve Power BI in the feature. 

Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately this option is not available to me, it works for reports with data that is not connected to a Cube, however on the reports linked to a cube i am unable to do so 😞

@Anonymous Is your cube tabular or multidimensional?

The link @Syk provided explains that this is only possible for tabular cubes (not MDX).

Sounds like its set up differently than mine.. maybe this similar post can explain more - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/olap-cube-live-connection/m-p/712944

Syk
Super User
Super User

Try right clicking on a table in the fields pane. You should be able to click 'New measure' here. (screenshot from a cube connected pbix)

Syk_0-1646066232281.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors