Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating Categories based on counts

I have a list of people that receive 1 letter monthly.  People are added to the list, so now, if I look back - I want to understand and craft the following based on people and count of letters received in past 32 months.

Here is a mock list:

peopletotal # of letters
pp132
pp232
pp316
pp416
pp528
pp627
pp728
pp827
pp916
pp1012
pp1112
pp1212
pp134
pp144
pp154
pp164

The goal is to create a bar chart and each total #, report the number of people that received that many letters in past 32 months, then on top of that, add how many replied to the letter that was sent (%)

Not sure how to craft this in a formula.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi !

I would rather prefer to solve this problem through Data Modeling. You have ResponseTble and Group1 table, both are connected through [email] column. You can put a slicer on your report from Group1 table to filter selected Groups. This will apply filter based on selection and only those emails will be checked in ResponseTable where the Group1 [email] criteria is matched. And then second filter will apply through DAX to check [Sent] = "Yes"

Hope this will help you get resolved the issue.

Regards,

Hasham

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

the table has each user individual, the date, and Yes or No if sent, and yes or no if responses, then yes or no if account updated.  After importing the table into PBI, I then just pulled up a matrix, and have the people in column, then in values - count of Sent (filtered on sent value as yes), so shows me the count of sent based on the filter of the date as well in the filter section.  

Hi !

You can get started by using following 2 measures;

Letter Sent = CALCULATE( COUNT(YourTable[People]), FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Sent] = "Yes"))

Letter Recieved = CALCULATE( COUNT(YourTable[People]), FILTER(YourTable, YourTable[Responses] = "Yes"))

You can replace the YourTable with table name, we consider [People] as column name in your model, this is the column representing each individual, or you can use the Date column as well. We consider Sent & Reponses are 2 columns in your model to pick Sent = "Yes" to get No. of Letter sent count and Repsonses = "Yes" to get No. Of Letter recieved count.

Regards,

Hasham 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to filter the calculation based on a subset - example, i have 2 tables, the data that holds the people and response information, and the more people detailed information - both connected by peopleEmail.  I further have a subset, a list of people names, details, and emails - i want to calculate just only for those, so as long as they match are in the response information table.  Hope that makes sense.  I keep getting filter expression error due to true/false statement.  My thoughts are this -  (it failed - but a start i guess) 

Letters Sent Group1 = CALCULATE( COUNT(ResponseTble[email],

FILTER(ResponseTble, 'ResponseTble'[Sent] = "Yes"),

FILTER(ResponseTble, 'ResponseTble'[email] in

VALUES('Group1'[email])

)

Hi !

I would rather prefer to solve this problem through Data Modeling. You have ResponseTble and Group1 table, both are connected through [email] column. You can put a slicer on your report from Group1 table to filter selected Groups. This will apply filter based on selection and only those emails will be checked in ResponseTable where the Group1 [email] criteria is matched. And then second filter will apply through DAX to check [Sent] = "Yes"

Hope this will help you get resolved the issue.

Regards,

Hasham

Anonymous
Not applicable

That worked!!! Thanks!!

HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi !

Please share how you are currently tracking No. of Letters delivered vs. Reply recieved in your Data model.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors