Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PallaviR
Frequent Visitor

Create a virtual table based on date and other slicer selection

I need to create a virtual table which will be a subset of fact table based on slicer selection and calendar date selection. Please help.

10 REPLIES 10
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @PallaviR ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create calculated table.

Table 2 =
CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[Transcation Date]),MAX('Table'[Transcation Date]))

vyangliumsft_0-1650876620101.png

2. Create measure.

Sales-Measure =
var _selectmin=MINX(ALLSELECTED('Table 2'),'Table 2'[Date])
var _seletmax=MaxX(ALLSELECTED('Table 2'),'Table 2'[Date])
var _selectpro=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Product])
var _selectbrand=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Brand])
return
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
NOT( ISFILTERED('Table'[Product]))&&NOT( ISFILTERED('Table'[Brand])),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[Transcation Date]>=_selectmin&&'Table'[Transcation Date]<=_seletmax&&'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer]))),
NOT( ISFILTERED('Table'[Product])),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[Transcation Date]>=_selectmin&&'Table'[Transcation Date]<=_seletmax&&'Table'[Brand]=_selectbrand&&'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer]))),
NOT( ISFILTERED('Table'[Brand])),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[Transcation Date]>=_selectmin&&'Table'[Transcation Date]<=_seletmax&&'Table'[Product]=_selectpro&&'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer]))),
CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[Transcation Date]>=_selectmin&&'Table'[Transcation Date]<=_seletmax&&'Table'[Product]=_selectpro&&'Table'[Brand]=_selectbrand&&'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer]))))

3. Result:

Scenario 1:

vyangliumsft_1-1650876620104.png

Scenario 2:

vyangliumsft_2-1650876620105.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

PallaviR
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @tamerj1 . Let me explain the scenario here. I have this transaction table here.

PallaviR_2-1650485592061.png

I have a slicer to select the date range. I have slicers to selection product, brand etc. Based on date range frpm slicer and prod + brand selection as option, I have to create a virtual table which will be a subset of the transaction table. It will take only those records that fall under selected date range from slicer additionaly if there is any slicer selection done on prod/brand.

Example - If I select only date range slicer for customers between 1-Aug-2022 to 20-Sep-2022. And no selection of prod, brand. Then my output should show aggregated sales for the customer within that date range

In this case, this should be my output

PallaviR_3-1650485719024.png

Scenario 2 - Suppose 

If I select only date range slicer for customers between 1-Aug-2022 to 20-Sep-2022. And Brand 2 is selected. Then my output should show aggregated sales for the customer within that date range and only customer sales with brand 2. In this case, this should be my output. Please help.

PallaviR_4-1650485833556.png

@PallaviR 

Just creat a measure 

Amount = SUM ( Tansactions[Sales] )

insert a matrix visual, placr Customers in the rows and the Amount measure in the values

No this will not help. Dynamically select the date from slicer and get the subset of transaction table.

@PallaviR 
this is exactly what Powe Bi does. Why do you think you won't get the required result? Am I missing something?

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @PallaviR 

ready to support you. Please explain the issue in details and provide sample data and screenshots 

Hi @tamerj1 

Can you please tell me how to add here date filters. It is not working. 

SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(Transaction[Customer],FILTER('Calendar Date','Calendar Date'[Date] >= startDate && 'Calendar Date'[Date] <= endDate),"Sales"calculate(SUM(Transaction[SALES])))
Thanks,
Pallavi

What are StartDate and EndDate?

var startDate = STARTOFQUARTER('Calendar Date'[Date])
var endDate = ENDOFMONTH('Calendar Date'[Date])

@PallaviR 

Sorry just noticed your reply. You may try this 

Table1 =
var startDate = 
    STARTOFQUARTER('Calendar Date'[Date] )
var endDate = 
    ENDOFMONTH('Calendar Date'[Date])
RETURN
FILTER (
    SUMMARIZE (
        Transaction,
        Transaction[Customer],
        'Calendar Date'[Date],
        "Sales", SUM ( Transaction[SALES] )
    ),
    'Calendar Date'[Date] >= startDate
        && 'Calendar Date'[Date] <= endDate
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors