Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

giordafrancis
Frequent Visitor

Create a table for the Lastest avaliable Non blank value

Hi there, DAX newb here so thanks in advance 🙂

I'm working on a Project info table that is built based on a  two tables relation
- a Master table contains the main project info (ID, Description )

- A latest summary table with latest summary submission and corresponding summary by project managers (PMs)

the master table is on the one side , so many project summaries can submitted for the one project vs time.

Constrain: Some project summaries are blank or contain whitespaces as these are error submissions by PMs. These should not be displayed.

My hacky solution is below:
1-
_Last_known_summ =
LASTNONBLANK(Project_Summary[Management_Summary],
Fact_Project_Summary[Management_Summary])

2-

and a visual filter for the last top 1 submitted date_time.

2020_05_14 16_54 Office Lens.jpg
The issue that i have is that if two or more projects are selected on the filter ;  only the project with the latest summary will be displayed . If i remove the filter stated in 2 , the table index will explode and all non blank summaries will be displayed.

help 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If you will never want to see or analyze blank/bad entries, you should filter them out in your query.  You then can write simpler DAX to get your desired result.  If not needed, please try that and then respond if you need a solution.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thank you. The current formula already removes the blank summaries. Still stuck I'm afraid. I'm able to display the latest summary for one project but as soon as two or more projects are selected in the visual filter the latest date is selected between both projects and only one is selected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @giordafrancis.

You did not understand what @mahoneypat said. You must remove the rows with blanks in Power Query, not in DAX.

Best
D

thank you @Anonymous  @mahoneypat . Could you point in the right direction regarding  post on this? Found a few but still a bit onfused on this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors