Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

Create Measure or calculated Column for tabular Total

Is it possible to create a Measure or calculated Column that has a tabular Total?

If I create a Power BI table viz and enable Totals for that table, the Total is what I want as a as if it were an independent grouping that I can use in a viz or calculations.

The attached Excel mock up screenshot attached here illustrates what I am trying to get.

Any hints tips etc welcome and appreciated!

009co_0-1660459438493.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@009co 

What you're asking for is not so easy to create. Alberto Ferrari has a vid on YT that deals with such issues. Basically, you have to create a different table with this row 'Category Total' added, connect this table to other table(s) and create a measure that will do the right thing. It's not basic stuff. If I find this video, I'll come back and give you a link. But you could try to locate it yourself on YT. Just try to search for phrases like "add total row", "add others"...

Here's something to get you started: Filtering the top products alongside the other products in Power BI - SQLBI

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

[Total Across Visible Categories] =
CALCULATE(
    [Your Measure],
    ALLSELECTED( T[Category] )
)

Thanks. That is interesting. But not what I am looking for.

Using the new measure you have lets me created the following yellow columns.

But I would like to add another category value that is the "Category Total" green row.

009co_2-1660467046222.png

@009co 

What you're asking for is not so easy to create. Alberto Ferrari has a vid on YT that deals with such issues. Basically, you have to create a different table with this row 'Category Total' added, connect this table to other table(s) and create a measure that will do the right thing. It's not basic stuff. If I find this video, I'll come back and give you a link. But you could try to locate it yourself on YT. Just try to search for phrases like "add total row", "add others"...

Here's something to get you started: Filtering the top products alongside the other products in Power BI - SQLBI

Ok yes this is not a DAX solution but need to do it at the query level.

Something like:

1. Make another query that aggregate category values as new category column value named "Category Total".  

2. Append new query to original query. Query results will then have rows for each category, and a new row for category total.

Have to ensure that the new category "category total" is only used where relevant. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors