Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

larsm11
Frequent Visitor

Create Custom Column based on filter in Related table

Quite new to DAX, and have gotten myself into a dead end.

I've have two tables, where Table2 holds transactions for Table1 and they share id. The id is unique in Table 1 (i.e. no duplicates).

I'm trying to (i.e. need help to ) create a DAX expression to create a custom column in Table 1 based on the following:

• Find all rows in Table 2 with the same id as the id in Table 1
  • Identify the one row with the highest positive amount and the one with highest negative amount, and determine the days between them using the date column (see sample tables below)
  • Rows with smaller amounts in between the high and low amounts are not or important
Table 1   Table 2   
iddays<calculated> iddateamount 
210 22019-01-153500 
   22019-01-25-3500 
   22019-03-15-200 

Many thanks in advance,

/LarsM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @larsm11 ,

The following DAX will create the column you are looking for. Just a warning: a calculated column is not evaluated when you apply new filters, only when you do a data refresh the calculated column is re-evaluated. If you want it to be dynamic, you will need to use measures.

daysBetween = 
VAR _curID = Table1[ID]
VAR _highestAmount = MAXX(FILTER(Table2, Table2[id] = _curID), [amount])
VAR _lowestAmount = MINX(FILTER(Table2, Table2[id] = _curID), [amount])
VAR _highestDate = MAXX(FILTER(Table2, Table2[id] = _curID && Table2[amount] = _highestAmount), [date])
VAR _lowestDate = MAXX(FILTER(Table2, Table2[id] = _curID && Table2[amount] = _lowestAmount), [date])
RETURN
DATEDIFF(_highestDate, _lowestDate, DAY)

I used variables as much as possible to illustrate the logic 🙂 Let me know if this solves your issue!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @larsm11 ,

The following DAX will create the column you are looking for. Just a warning: a calculated column is not evaluated when you apply new filters, only when you do a data refresh the calculated column is re-evaluated. If you want it to be dynamic, you will need to use measures.

daysBetween = 
VAR _curID = Table1[ID]
VAR _highestAmount = MAXX(FILTER(Table2, Table2[id] = _curID), [amount])
VAR _lowestAmount = MINX(FILTER(Table2, Table2[id] = _curID), [amount])
VAR _highestDate = MAXX(FILTER(Table2, Table2[id] = _curID && Table2[amount] = _highestAmount), [date])
VAR _lowestDate = MAXX(FILTER(Table2, Table2[id] = _curID && Table2[amount] = _lowestAmount), [date])
RETURN
DATEDIFF(_highestDate, _lowestDate, DAY)

I used variables as much as possible to illustrate the logic 🙂 Let me know if this solves your issue!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Excellent,

Thanks for bringing me a great and working solution in such a short timeframe, and for using variables to make it so readable for a newbie like myself.

/LarsM

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors