Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

syasmin25
Helper V
Helper V

Counting ELA and MATH

I have an issue and am having trouble wrapping my head around it. I am trying to count students absent in English and Math classes. The issue here is the database places students absent per period on a row to row basis. I have created a sample here. The original one is over a million rows.tbruh.PNG
t_Calendar.PNG

I was wondering if there is any way I can create a column that counts number of students absent in MATH and ELA. I know I can do table. But I need to be looking more like the picture below (red font is where I want the calculation) and was wondering if someone could help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@syasmin25 

or this version might be faster

Measure V2 =
VAR tab0_ =
    FILTER ( Table1, Table1[Subject] IN { "MATH", "ELA" } )
RETURN
    SUMX (
        tab0_,
        ( COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( tab0_, [ID] = EARLIER ( [ID] ) ) ) = 2 ) * ( 1 / 2 )
    )

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Not sure what happened but this same post was also listed under "Counting Core Courses".  I had replied with this expression.

Absent ELA and Math =
COUNTROWS (
FILTER (
VALUES ( Absences[ID] ),
CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Absences ), Absences[Subject] IN { "ELA", "Math" } ) = 2
)
)

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

The equation still carries some duplicates.

Sorry, I can't help further unless you provide more information. Perhaps I can when you share a Pbi file with an anonymous subset of your data that shows the problem?

I would need a distinct count on the IDs.

stevedep
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

This should work:

NumberOfStudentsAbsentInELAAndMath = 
var filterset = FILTER(PresenceStudents;PresenceStudents[Subject]="ELA" || PresenceStudents[Subject]="MATH")
var summaryset_ineiterclass = SUMMARIZE(filterset;PresenceStudents[ID])
var allstudents = SUMMARIZE(PresenceStudents;PresenceStudents[ID])
return
COUNTX(EXCEPT(allstudents;summaryset_ineiterclass);1)

As can be seen here:
students.png

Power BI file is available here.

Please accept as solution if this is what you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Steve. 

It is not doing a distinct count on the ID, is there a way that would be possible? I tried to go along in a few ways but it doesnt seem to work.

In my response I share a power bi file with a working solution?

Yes, I am a bit confused since I will also be providing a drillthrough. When I did that to the file that you have provided, it shows other subjects too when I copy in the formula and do a drill through with the IDs and periods and subjects.

Perhaps I can help if you can share that file? Perhaps via a PM?

Kind regards,

Steve. 

Hi @syasmin25 

1. Place Table1[School ID] in a table visual

2. Place this measure in the visual

Measure V1 =
COUNTROWS (
    FILTER (
        DISTINCT ( Table1[ID] ),
        CALCULATE ( COUNT ( Table1[ID] ), Table1[Subject] IN { "ELA", "MATH" } ) = 2
    )
) + 0

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

I have tried your equationn, however it almost there yet not there with the result. Like my result for one of the schools is supposed to be 52 but witht he equation, it is still showing 60. I am guessing that it is carrying in duplicate values.

@syasmin25 

or this version might be faster

Measure V2 =
VAR tab0_ =
    FILTER ( Table1, Table1[Subject] IN { "MATH", "ELA" } )
RETURN
    SUMX (
        tab0_,
        ( COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( tab0_, [ID] = EARLIER ( [ID] ) ) ) = 2 ) * ( 1 / 2 )
    )

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors