Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jxg104
Frequent Visitor

Count number of users with certain badges

Hey,

I am looking to produce a count of the number of users in a community with a certain skill levels. The is as follows:

NameBadge
JohnBeginner
JohnIntermediate
JohnAdvanced
HelenBeginner
Helen 

Intermediate

JaneBeginner
JaneIntermediate
JaneAdvanced
JanePower User
BrianBeginner
DavidBeginner
DavidPower User

I would like to make the following counts in a Card on a dashboard

1. Number of users who have Beginner and Intermediate and ... (but not ONLY those values, they could have more too)
  2. Number of users who have Beginner and Intermediate, but not Advanced.

Since the card is static, I would like to code the Badge into the query and not use a slicer. 

I have had a look round the forum about Basket Analysis and using double pipes, but I can't find a solution that uses the right syntax without using a slicer.

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, you can build measures like this:

Measure 1 =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Name]), 
    FILTER(
        SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
            Table[Name],
            "@beginner", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name]),Table[Badge]="Beginner"),
            "@intermediate", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name]),Table[Badge]="Intermediate")
        ),
        [@beginner] + [@intermediate] = 2
    )
)

This case will check if they have both beginner and intermediate without caring if they have advance or not.

Now let's check the other measure:

Measure 2 =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER(
        SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
            Table[Name],
            "@beginner", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name])Table[Badge]="Beginner"),
            "@intermediate", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name]),Table[Badge]="Intermediate"),
            "@advanced", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name]),Table[Badge]="Advanced")
        ),
        [@beginner] + [@intermediate] + [@advanced] = 3
    )
)

This second way will check they are beginner and intermediate but NOT advanced.
You have to avoid interactions between filters and the card with this measure in order to work.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out the attached file.

Best

D

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, you can build measures like this:

Measure 1 =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER(
        SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
            Table[Name],
            "@beginner", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name]),Table[Badge]="Beginner"),
            "@intermediate", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name]),Table[Badge]="Intermediate")
        ),
        [@beginner] + [@intermediate] = 2
    )
)

This case will check if they have both beginner and intermediate without caring if they have advance or not.

Now let's check the other measure:

Measure 2 =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER(
        SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
            Table[Name],
            "@beginner", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name])Table[Badge]="Beginner"),
            "@intermediate", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name]),Table[Badge]="Intermediate"),
            "@advanced", CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Name]),Table[Badge]="Advanced")
        ),
        [@beginner] + [@intermediate] + [@advanced] = 3
    )
)

This second way will check they are beginner and intermediate but NOT advanced.
You have to avoid interactions between filters and the card with this measure in order to work.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

The measure with SUMMARIZECOLUMNS is wrong. SUMMARIZECOLUMNS must not be use in measures since the function does not recognize context transition. It can only be safely used in queries.

Best
D

Amazing, thanks! This helps a lot! As a follow-up question, how could a filter to look at a combination of (for example) 4 badges? Since the AND only allows 2 arguments? Thanks a lot!

Well you don't have to use AND () if you don't want to. You can add all you want like this:

FILTER(
    Table,
    Condition 1 && Condition 2 && ... && Condition N
)

AND is a helpful function when you need to ask for two and want everything in an order, but it's not mandatory.

Check out the second code I have sent. It contains an "AND" and then &&. You can use AND ( AND ( AND ( .... ) ) ) or the symbol &&.

Regards

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

When I apply these functions to the data, it keeps returning the message (Blank). If I only add one of the arguments (e.g. only Begineer), it counts fine, but with 2, it comes up blank. Could it be that the function would look for "Beginner" and "Intermediate" in the same cell? Not sure what I have done wrong...

Oh! I have a silly mistake sorry. You shouldn't use AND. You have to use OR haha. Like this:

Measure 1 =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER(
        ALL(Table[Badge]),
        OR(Table[Badge] = "Beginner", Table[Badge]="Intermediate")
    )
)

The symbol for the OR are double pipes "||" instead of &&.

That's why it was null, a row can't be "Beginner" and  "Intermediate" at the same time haha.

Regards,

FirstPost EDITED to be with OR

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks! But now I think the number is too high - with "OR"/"||", it is now showing the users who have either Beginner, or Intermediate, or Both...  For my needs I need to find the distinct count of users who have Beginner and Intermediate (but of course, those two values would be in different cells) 

🙂 

I see mi mistake. It's a tricky measure. Before I blow my mind with this let me ask. Do you have any other value rather than advanced, intermediate and beginner? and in order to be an advanced, do you have to be first intermediate and beginner?

I have to ask because if your answer is yes to both, then it should this simple:

Measure 2 =
CALCULATE (
    Table[Badge] <> "Advanced"
    )
)

If the answer is no, we should analyze a bit more to prepare this in a different way.

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors