Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count measure results based on conditions/Create a Table based on measure results to make a donut ch

Basically, title. There is a measure that was supposed to serve as a conditional formatting based on values one of the measure's.

the end code (formatted for privacy reasons) as follows:

Untitled.png

 I would like to count how many values were labeled as "FlagLow", "FlagHigh" and "FlagMedium" to put them into Donut Chart.
I was thinking of putting them into table, but I don't know how do I put the results of SWITCH() function into the table either.

Somebody has an idea how do I get the count of 'flags"?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 
The disconnected filter table is a table that contains all the unique statuses (the 3 flags) you can create it in excel along with numeric sorting column (required only to sort the flag column in the visual in the desired order) or you can use the folowing code to create a calculated table using DAX

Fiter Table =
VAR T1 =
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( GENERATESERIES ( 1, 3, 1 ), "Sort", [Value] )
VAR T2 =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        T1,
        "Flag", SWITCH ( [Sort], 1, "FlagHigh", 2, "FlagMedium", 3, "FlagRed" )
    )
RETURN
    T2

This table has NO RELATIONSHIPS with any other table in your model. You just need to use it to slice by in your visuals, for example to place it in the rows of a matrix visual or use it in a slicer.

Once this table is created, place the [Flag] column in a table visual then place the following measure along with it.

Flag Count =
VAR CurrentFlag =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Filter Table'[Flag] )
VAR T1 =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( VALUES ( TableName[Project Name] ), "@Flag", [MeasureName] )
VAR T2 =
    FILTER ( T1, [@Flag] = CurrentFlag )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( T2 )

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Situation:
The counting should be based on 'Project Name' column. So at the end it should be somthing like:
- How many projects are there with "FlagHigh"?
- How many are with "FlagRed"?
- "FlagMedium"?

Could you elaborate on disconnected filter table, please? I am new to this stuff...

Hi @Anonymous 
The disconnected filter table is a table that contains all the unique statuses (the 3 flags) you can create it in excel along with numeric sorting column (required only to sort the flag column in the visual in the desired order) or you can use the folowing code to create a calculated table using DAX

Fiter Table =
VAR T1 =
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( GENERATESERIES ( 1, 3, 1 ), "Sort", [Value] )
VAR T2 =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        T1,
        "Flag", SWITCH ( [Sort], 1, "FlagHigh", 2, "FlagMedium", 3, "FlagRed" )
    )
RETURN
    T2

This table has NO RELATIONSHIPS with any other table in your model. You just need to use it to slice by in your visuals, for example to place it in the rows of a matrix visual or use it in a slicer.

Once this table is created, place the [Flag] column in a table visual then place the following measure along with it.

Flag Count =
VAR CurrentFlag =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Filter Table'[Flag] )
VAR T1 =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( VALUES ( TableName[Project Name] ), "@Flag", [MeasureName] )
VAR T2 =
    FILTER ( T1, [@Flag] = CurrentFlag )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( T2 )
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are godlike. Thank you, it worked as expected. 

But there is one thing that bothers me. I've added the last flag which explains "No Next Phase" of the project, I got it into measure of conditional formatting. But it doesn't do anything, and its pard does not appear on the chart.

Long story short: if project has "No Next Phase" text value, it should be labeled with "FlagBlack" and count how many of them are there. I did everything that's supposed to be reasonable but it didn't work!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try it and see whether it'll work, will let you know, THANK YOU!

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 
You need to create a disconnected filter table containing the three flag values. DAX will take care of the rest but you need to specify this counting will be based on what? In oter words how many times per what? Per date? Per customer? Per product? What were you slicing by before counting?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors