Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count Rows based on dynamic column value

Hi, I have a stacked bar chart with a line graph on and as a tooltip, I want to show the percentage value of each stack. I've tried various solutions, but to no avail. For example, for 2019, when I hover over the bottom stack, I want the tooltip to tell me that it represents XX% of uploads for non-partners that year.

I've tried the solution below, but the latter part of the argument returns the total number of rows within the table, not the amount for each year.

Percentage = DISTINCTCOUNT('Overview'[First_NID])/CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Overview[First_NID]),ALLEXCEPT(Overview,Overview[First_Year]))

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I smell a rat here... The rat being a single-table model. Do you happen to have a model with just one big table?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's using the two tables I've highlighted.

So it's using the two tables I've highlightedSo it's using the two tables I've highlighted

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , try a measure like

Percentage = divide(DISTINCTCOUNT('Overview'[First_NID]),CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Overview[First_NID]),filter(allselected(Overview),Overview[First_Year]) =max(Overview[First_Year])))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @amitchandak! However, it's still not working. I receive the following error message - A function 'FILTER' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show the model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say the model, are you referring to the underlying data?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I'm referring to the schema.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's quite large, but the attached screenshot shows the two tables I'm using. CMD Model.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I can tell you straight away you should change the way you model your data. It would take a small book to explain to you why the model is bad. But the fact is: it's very bad. I mean VERY. And I'm not talking about the tables. I'm talking about the relationships. Bi-dir relationships have been thought to solve some very specific issues. Namely, those with many to many relationships that require a bridge table. Nothing else. Second, the *-* (many-to-many) relationships have been designed to solve the issue of granularity and bi-dir filtering should never be enabled on them. If you leave the model as it is right now, very soon---or even now but without being aware---your model will start producting figures nobody will be able to explain and understand. Including you.

I'm almost sure this model is ambiguous but the engine does not signalize it.

Please do not make the mistakes other have. Change the model according to Best Practices of PBI modeling and dimensional modeling. This advice is all I can do for you right now. Ignore it and you'll be in for troubles later on BIG TIME.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors