Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Convert Earlier function in DAX to Power Query (Reverse Cumulative)

Hello,

Apologies in advance but I cannot seem to find a solution to this question.

Basically, I wrote a DAX query that works perfectly, but i realised a Power query will be better because I need Power's pivot functionality for some required post analysis. I just started learning DAX and have no idea how to write power queries.

For the query, I created two variables _department & _project and execute the following:

CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),FILTER('Table',__department='Table'[department]),FILTER('Table',__project='Table'[Project type]),FILTER('Table','Table'[date]>=EARLIER('Table'[date]))
The query filters the table by department and project, then does a reverse cummulative count on the filtered results, grouped by dates. 

Any idea would be a good starting point for me.
Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous , here's the M code for your reference,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcjQ0NFTSUfIozU3MUwhKLc4vLUpOLQaKGBkYGeoaAJGxUqwONdWZIKtzy8xLzEtOxWkOFnlTCuVNyHEnHnWm5IQPIXfROlzoEI8Q+5yMiDOHsDpjctThDGfc8qYE5IHmxwIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Project = _t, Department = _t, Date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project", type text}, {"Department", type text}, {"Date", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Date", "Project", "Department"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}}),

#"Reverse Cumulative Count" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Reverse Cumulative Count", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Grouped Rows", (x) => x[Project] = [Project] and x[Department] = [Department] and x[Date] >= [Date])[Count]))
//                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
//                             it's equivalent to EARLIER()
in
    #"Reverse Cumulative Count"

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous , as to your DAX formula alone, it could be simplified as

CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ),
    FILTER (
        'Table',
        'Table'[department] = __department
            && 'Table'[Project type] = __project
            && 'Table'[date] >= EARLIER ( 'Table'[date] )
    )
)

as to the equivalence to EARLIER(), I think you can conduct some filtering after grouping the dataset by columns [department] and [Project type]. Paste some mockup data for further explanation if you want.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, 

I have been having some challenges replying. Made several attempts for over an hour. Something about 'Post flooding detected (community received posts of a unique message more than 1 times within 3,600'

I hope this works!

My response to your question 

@Anonymous , here's the M code for your reference,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcjQ0NFTSUfIozU3MUwhKLc4vLUpOLQaKGBkYGeoaAJGxUqwONdWZIKtzy8xLzEtOxWkOFnlTCuVNyHEnHnWm5IQPIXfROlzoEI8Q+5yMiDOHsDpjctThDGfc8qYE5IHmxwIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Project = _t, Department = _t, Date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project", type text}, {"Department", type text}, {"Date", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Date", "Project", "Department"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}}),

#"Reverse Cumulative Count" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Reverse Cumulative Count", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Grouped Rows", (x) => x[Project] = [Project] and x[Department] = [Department] and x[Date] >= [Date])[Count]))
//                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
//                             it's equivalent to EARLIER()
in
    #"Reverse Cumulative Count"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much. Will try and out and revert. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors