Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mistermat
Frequent Visitor

Conditionally clearing active filters (ALL) in CALCULATE

How can I conditionally include an ALL() statement to CALCULATE()?  Effectively, I want to clear all active filters under certain circumstances.

Here's a simple illustration:

CALCULATE(
    SUM(Transactions[Amount]),
    ALL(Accounts), // Conditionally include
    Accounts[Index] <= MAX(Accounts[Index]) // Conditionally include
)

Here's my attempt (isCumulative is simply a boolean 

CALCULATE(
    SUM(Transactions[Amount]),
    IF( isCumulative, ALL(Accounts),  1 = 1 ) // Error - multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value, also not sure about 1 = 1 but I just want to keep the existing filter context in the false condition
    IF( isCumulative, Accounts[Index] <= MAX(Accounts[Index]), Accounts[Index] IN VALUES(Accounts[Index] ) // This works. It's a different way to keep the existing filters in the else condition (but would like feedback on whether this is correct too)
)

The problem I find is that ALL normally returns a table, but specifically in CALCULATE it seems to behave differently.  Please also refer to this article: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/managing-all-functions-in-dax-all-allselected-allnoblankrow-allexcept...

The above example is a simplified version of my real case which has more conditions.  My only solution has been to have multiple nested IFs with multiple CALCULATEs.  I am looking for a better alternative.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

In DAX the ALL* functions, when used as top-level constructs, are really modifiers, not table functions. They remove filters. They do not filter. It's an important distinction.

Secondly, the easiest way to do what you want is to do sth like this:

var __conditionValue = <get the condition>
var __cond1measure = calculate(....)
var __cond2measure = calculate(....)
var __cond3....
var __output =
	switch (
		__conditionValue,
		condition1value, __cond1measure,
		condition2value, __cond2measure,
		"default value"
	)
return
	__output

Since variables are only calculated in DAX on demand, this does not create any issues.

Best

Darek

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

it doesn't work because IF requires the return values to be scalar, not a table
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/if-function-dax#parameters

So you don't get the error because of 1=1. It returns TRUE which is scalar, ALL(Accounts) returns a table, which gives an error

I was thinking of a way of doing it with FILTER and variables, but it comes down to having a conditional that can return a table, which to my knowledge is not possible in DAX - both IF and SWITCH can only return scalar

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

In DAX the ALL* functions, when used as top-level constructs, are really modifiers, not table functions. They remove filters. They do not filter. It's an important distinction.

Secondly, the easiest way to do what you want is to do sth like this:

var __conditionValue = <get the condition>
var __cond1measure = calculate(....)
var __cond2measure = calculate(....)
var __cond3....
var __output =
	switch (
		__conditionValue,
		condition1value, __cond1measure,
		condition2value, __cond2measure,
		"default value"
	)
return
	__output

Since variables are only calculated in DAX on demand, this does not create any issues.

Best

Darek

Thanks so much for your input.  Are you sure that variables are calculated on demand?  I have been working under the assumption that that wasn't the case, and have been looking for ways to optimize my CALCULATE calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard this from The Italians, so it must be true at least most of the time. But with DAX Studio you can check it for yourself.

Best

Darek

Thanks! Going to try this out throughout my code to try to improve performance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors