Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rob2
Frequent Visitor

Complex Filtering and Ranking Issue

I have a very simple dataset.  A competitors and calendar table (PBIX file attached).  However, having issues trying to create a measure to account for multiple criteria.  Faily new to Power BI.....

Competitors table:  competitor_name, SKU, scrape_date, price, first_scrape_date.

Calendar table: date

I have two slicers that I would like the user to control:

1) date

2) # of competitors to show

I would like to show a line chart with the following criteria:

Criteria 1) Filter competitors & items that have a "first_scrape_date" prior to 6/29/2016.

Critera 2) Sum the # of scrapes for the "eligible" competitor/items from #1 between 6/29/2016 and 12/1/2016 by Vendor.

Criteria 3) Take the top 2 competitors with the most scrapes from #2 and plot them on a line chart.

It should look like this (created in Excel):

2019-12-26_15-27-28.jpg

PBIX File:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/n618p4a2wz0ifer/Competitor_Example%20v3.pbix?dl=0

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Thank you for giving such a clear explanation.
Here is a partial solution. I have worked it out with multiple small measures so I could debug it as I wenttopscrapes.PNG

My first step was to create a slider. I wanted a slider that would only set a date range and not filter the competitors table, so I created a new calendar table and based by slider on that.
I went round and round on this problem. Finally i decided that it was a question about the competitors, and not about the records of the scrapes. So for clarity I created a table of competitors (this would be a dimension table)

Now I wrote a measure to calculate the total scrapes for each competitor. I ran it through daxformatter.com to make it easier to understand

Total Scrapes =
VAR competitor =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Comp[Competitor] )
VAR filter_start_date =
    MIN ( Calendar_Slicer[Date] )
VAR filter_end_date =
    MAX ( Calendar_Slicer[Date] )
VAR scrapes =
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Competitors ),
        ALL ( Competitors ),
        Competitors[comp_name] = competitor,
        Competitors[first_scrape_date] < filter_start_date,
        Competitors[scrape_date] >= filter_start_date,
        Competitors[scrape_date] <= filter_end_date
    )
RETURN
    scrapes

First the code gets the competitor from the competitor table that is in the filter context (SELECTEDVALUE)

Then it gets the first and last dates from the slicer. One of the complications of this logic is that it is not just about one date condition, but 2.
Then it uses CALCULATE to filter the rows of the contributors table.

It applies ALL() to remove any external filters

then it filters for competitors who first scrape date is before the first date in the slicer

then it filters for scrapes with dates between the start and end dates of the slicer

Now that we have a measure to count scrapes, we apply TOPN to create a table listing the top 2 competitors
This is the table measure:

Top 2 = topn(2,Comp,[Total Scrapes])
It gets the top 2 records from the Comp table (the table of Competitors) and runs the measure Total Scrapes to get the number of scrapes for each competitor.
From your example it looks like you then want to calculate the average amount for each of these competitors for the start date of the slicer date range to the end date ? Do you want to get the average per day, per month, or just the start and end averages.  Those would be further calculations that would build on the measures I've described here.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Thank you for giving such a clear explanation.
Here is a partial solution. I have worked it out with multiple small measures so I could debug it as I wenttopscrapes.PNG

My first step was to create a slider. I wanted a slider that would only set a date range and not filter the competitors table, so I created a new calendar table and based by slider on that.
I went round and round on this problem. Finally i decided that it was a question about the competitors, and not about the records of the scrapes. So for clarity I created a table of competitors (this would be a dimension table)

Now I wrote a measure to calculate the total scrapes for each competitor. I ran it through daxformatter.com to make it easier to understand

Total Scrapes =
VAR competitor =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Comp[Competitor] )
VAR filter_start_date =
    MIN ( Calendar_Slicer[Date] )
VAR filter_end_date =
    MAX ( Calendar_Slicer[Date] )
VAR scrapes =
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Competitors ),
        ALL ( Competitors ),
        Competitors[comp_name] = competitor,
        Competitors[first_scrape_date] < filter_start_date,
        Competitors[scrape_date] >= filter_start_date,
        Competitors[scrape_date] <= filter_end_date
    )
RETURN
    scrapes

First the code gets the competitor from the competitor table that is in the filter context (SELECTEDVALUE)

Then it gets the first and last dates from the slicer. One of the complications of this logic is that it is not just about one date condition, but 2.
Then it uses CALCULATE to filter the rows of the contributors table.

It applies ALL() to remove any external filters

then it filters for competitors who first scrape date is before the first date in the slicer

then it filters for scrapes with dates between the start and end dates of the slicer

Now that we have a measure to count scrapes, we apply TOPN to create a table listing the top 2 competitors
This is the table measure:

Top 2 = topn(2,Comp,[Total Scrapes])
It gets the top 2 records from the Comp table (the table of Competitors) and runs the measure Total Scrapes to get the number of scrapes for each competitor.
From your example it looks like you then want to calculate the average amount for each of these competitors for the start date of the slicer date range to the end date ? Do you want to get the average per day, per month, or just the start and end averages.  Those would be further calculations that would build on the measures I've described here.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!